Hey everyone,

I recently found out that all heart attacks can be divided into two groups (who would have known?) and these are NSTEMI and STEMI, I think these mean this: NSTEMI - Non–ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction and STEMI - ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.

I just picked up this info from the TV and it got me curious, I never knew there were more types of a heart attack. So, does anyone here know something about these two types of heart attacks? I'd like to get some info about NSTEMI, some info about STEMI, and then I would like someone to compare them for me.

Hey Adria,

Yeah, it was a bit weird for me when I first found out as well.

These two are quite similar to each other, but they are different from each other in some extent. NSTEMIs account for about 30% and STEMI about 70% of all heart attack (myocardial infarction).

NSTEMI occurs by developing a complete occlusion of a minor coronary artery or a partial occlusion of a major coronary artery previously affected by atherosclerosis. This causes a partial thickness damage of heart muscle.

STEMI occurs by developing a complete occlusion of a major coronary artery previously affected by atherosclerosis. This causes a full thickness damage of heart muscle.

Thanks for the info Stradivarius, I understand quite well what you are trying to tell me.

Is this all that they differ in? How about symptoms, is it possible for a person to know immediately which type of heart attack is she having? Can ECG spot which one of these heart attacks is occurring, are their displays different?

I think that the most important thing for me, for what I'd like to know, is which one is more dangerous, which one is more deadly. From what you wrote, I would conclude that STEMI is a lot more dangerous but I'd like someone to confirm this.

Hi Adria,

I have to tell you that you are not right about STEMI being more dangerous although a lot of people would think the same thing as you just did.

There was this study done and the results were next: short-term (in hospital for one month) mortality is lower in NSTEMI (3-5%) compared to STEMI (10-15%). Re-infarction rate (further heart attack) is higher in NSTEMI (15-25%) after hospital discharge compared to STEMI (5-8%). Long-term mortality is similar or higher in NSTEMI compared to STEMI (two year mortality is approximately 30% in both cases). 

There are some differences on ECG displays and the treatment is a bit different.

Hey there. Look Adria, here is an explanation.
The difference between STEMI and non-STEMI heart attacks are diagnosed by an EKG. A STEMI or ST-elevation myocardial infarction is caused by a sudden complete (100%) blockage of a heart artery (coronary artery). An acute coronary syndrome occurs when atherosclerotic coronary plaque becomes unstable leading to a series of events eventually resulting in partial or total thrombotic occlusion of a coronary artery. But I think that no one of us can actually understand it completely because they are very similar. I think that you can only diagnose which one you had on the ECG.

Good day folks! I am really glad because I have found this site. I had recently an attack and I posted topic about this at this site. I have STEMI and without you guys I was not able to find anything. Even my doctor didn't want to tell me more about this when it happened to me so I needed to find help. Actually, I didn't know that there is something called NSTEMI but now I do know. Anyway, I want to tahnk you about this and if you have any other comments or experiences feel free to tell us. Thank you.

Hello there guys.

It was always hard for me to understand more about this. I think that STEMI stand for ST (segment) elevation myocardial infarction. A 12 lead EKG will reveal an elevation in the ST segment in some leads--which leads depends on which area of the heart muscle is infracting. STEMI is also very serious so I am glad to see that someone is recovering fast from it. On the other hand, NSTEM is non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. That is, parts of the heart muscle is infarcting without any ST elevations on the 12 lead EKG. Usually evidence of a NSTEMI is determined based on serial troponins.

Good day there everyone.

I think that now when you already do know the difference between NSTEMI and STEMI, I think that STEMI is more serious type of heart attack than NESTEMI is. Actually, both of these types are dangerous just STEMI is really serous. Once you had it, it is very important to keep control your heart with your cardiologist all the time. Also, I remember that my neighbor Melly had it and she needed constantly to visit her doctor. Sure, she had the treatment and she was using beta blockers always. I hope that you do know a little bit about this.