- well, i'm 18 year's old. i've had anxiety for awhile. i believe it could just be my anxiety acting up again, i have been feeling slight pain either near or in my heart and kind of shortness of breath, i went too the doctor's a couple time's for my anxiety and they checked out my heart and stuff and said that everything looked fine, i did a cat scan and what not. my heart has felt like this for a couple day's. could this be anxiety and me just thinking it or something serious? i don't want too go too the doctor again and realize everything's okay and just anxiety.

dunnschuda-

For clarification purposes, you are experiencing Chest Pain, probably on the left side of your Chest I am guessing, which is leading you to believe that you are experiencing a Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction or "AMI").  I assume this is roughly what is going through your head anyway.  You are the age of 18, which immediately puts you in a low-risk category for an AMI, and to top this off you report only a history of Anxiety, and no Past Medical History regarding your Heart.  Anxiety, in particular Panic Attacks, often cause Chest Pain, Tachycardia (rapid Heart Rate), Hyperventilation (rapid breathing), a feeling of impending doom, Stomach Upset, sometimes Vomiting or other symptoms associated with Stomach Upset, and racing thoughts (which are often irrational-not your fault by any means).  Actually many sufferer's of Panic Attacks admit themselves to the ER under the belief they are having a Heart Attack, and often times that's how their Anxiety winds up getting diagnosed!

Anyway, pain from an AMI is often described as a Tightness of the Chest, as though it is being intensely squeezed/binded, not like the slight Chest Pain you complain of. The typical Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea) due to an AMI or Cardiac Ahryythmia can become so severe that the patient may become Cyanotic (blue) and require intervention with Pharmaceutical Grade Oxygen.  Of course there is also the scenario in which all Cardio/Respiratory function ceases and the patient is then Clinically dead, but you typed this post so that can't be your problem!  However in all seriousness, I think it's safe to say you are having Panic Attacks, which I can say with even further confidence since you have been seen by a Doctor and had tests.  I wonder if they actually performed an EKG (the Electric Heart Monitor), as an EMT/EKG Tech I can't help but be curious.  Just make sure you, maybe with the help of your Parents, find a Psychiatrist/Psychologist that can treat  your Anxiety and teach you how to terminate a Panic Attack either naturally or with Medication if determined to be necessary.  Hope I helped educate you enough to stop your worrying, but more importantly I hope you seriously follow my advice.

as an EMT myself i have to say i agree with this poster. this is sound advice. if its gonna stop you from sleeping at night go ahead and see your doc but you have to trust him/her when they tell you that you are ok. the way you describe the pain immediately made me doubt an AMI.