I have recently heard that a lot of people have these anxiety attacks at Christmas, and they become depressed about it and I don't know what. How is this possible, how can people become depressed over such a nice holiday which brings people together, which brings families together and fills homes with happiness, I don't understand it.

I was hoping that someone here would be able to explain this to me since I really, really don't understand it. My girlfriend told me this because we are supposed to have dinner with her parents for Christmas and she told me that her mum is always depressed around Christmas.

It's holiday anxiety (or holiday depression), you can search about these things on the internet, it's real. I don't know why exactly it happens, but I guess that people don't think that they will satisfy the expectations that other people have or something like that. Or they simply don't like that many people in one place and that makes them depressed.

Since her mum is depressed, do you think that you are prepared to meet her under these circumstances? Talking to a depressed person isn't easy so just be careful there, you can find info on the internet regarding how to talk to depressed people as well.

It's weird but it is true, there is a kind of anxiety called holiday anxiety which affects people only during holidays.

Eating Boss has a good point here, if you are meeting your girlfriend's parents for the first time, her mum might be extra nervous because of this and she will be even more depressed than she would normally be so it would be smart if you would see how to behave around people who are suffering from depression, you want to make a good first impression, don't you?

Just don't worry to much about it, it will be good, I guarantee it.

This was really the first time ever that I hear about this kind of anxiety, and it is still really weird for me.

I didn't know that I have to act differently around people who are depressed, shouldn't I just be myself? Well, obviously not, but can you at least give me some directions regarding how should I behave or something? As you have already figured out, this is really important to me, and to my girlfriend as well, and I do want to leave a good first impression so I want everything to be perfect, I don't want to make a mistake.

Guest, this is not directly pointed towards you, but "just be who you are" is the worst advice that you can give to some people, if you understand what I mean. 

You need to be very careful around depressed people if you don't want to hurt them. You shouldn't fight with them about anything, let them think that they are right and don't talk too much, rather just sit and listen to what her mum is saying, she is going to appreciate that more than you think. But of course, if she asks you something, you have to respond, you understand that? (just kidding)

Good day there. I do feel depression during the Christmas time as well. At the beginning, I didn't know why this happens to me, but than I realized that this happens to me because my sister moved away and we don't spend so many time anymore. She also stopped visiting us on holidays, so the Christmas is not exception at all. She is not visiting us because now she has her own family and I do understand her, that it is really hard for her to come home for Christmas. But I miss her and that is why I started to deal with those anxiety attacks. That is in my case - I am missing someone whom I love. That is my reason for depression.

Hi there.

I also haven't heard that someone can be depressed during Christmas time. It is a little bit weird for me because I do know about those depressions when you go to holidays, when you travel - that is a little bit normal, at least for me because I am dealing with it as well.

But I have never heard that people can be depressed during Christmas or New Year. Maybe this happens because you miss someone a lot, because you miss your family or because you don't even like to spend a time with your family.

I have no clue! 

Hello. A lot of people find this situation funny, but generally it is not funny at all. Look, if you have not suffered from anxiety disorders before this one that you are dealing with now, you can be surprised because Christmas,for everyone should be a time when we supposed to be happy and when we should celebrate. That is absolutely true, but you should also realize that not everybody feels this way. Generally, many people find the month of December, as a whole, very stressful and depressing for various reasons, and this is why they get depressed during Christmas time. It is not generally because of Christmas, but it is about December...You should talk to someone about this.

Oh, yes. Now I understand. I never was thinking about December as stressful month, but now when I think about this a little bit I can say that December is actually a cold month that sometimes can make us depressed. But not holidays, in my case.

Especially not the Christmas when you should spend a time with your family, in your home. That is why I don't understand why someone could even be depressed during the Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I don't judge anyone, that is just my opinion. But anyway, if this constantly happens to you, you should really seek for someone to talk to him or her. 

Yes, a lot of people can find it funny, but it is not funny at all. It is not a paradox, like a lot of people think, people can actually be depressed during the Christmas. And it is not the same type of depression like it is when you are depressed during holidays. It is totally different. Anyway, like any other disorder, this one also requires immediate help from someone who is an expert. Maybe it is not something that you pay attention on because it happens once a year, but if this is happening constantly, every single year, you should seek for help before it turns to something even worse. It is not easy to deal with it alone. GL!