I have a medium sized under-the-skin red and swollen pimple right on the edge of my lip. It's very painful to the touch, which is why I haven't popped it -I nearly passed out when I attempted to-. It's not open and does not have the appearance of a cold sore, nor is it fragile and have the appearance of a blister. My concern is that the whitehead is not visible, so there probably isn't one. Could it be a different form of cold sore? I'm 18, and embarrassingly enough have never been intimate with a person, so there's no way I could have contracted herpes or anything such aside from out of the blue. Is that possible? As I've said this is VERY painful, but there was no itching beforehand.

This isn't the first time this has appeared, and it's reappeared in pretty much the exact same spot it did the other time. Next is a picture of it. It's not very hard to see but it also kind of blends in: http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Troy_Hatfield/isthisacoldsore.jpg It's the bump with some dead skin on it just above my lip ring.

f anyone has any idea on this thing's identity I would be very grateful. It's starting to scare me.

visit ur derma for treatments : )

It could still be a cold sore. You don't have to be sexually active in order to have oral herpes. Oral herpes can be spread just from non-intimate kissing, like getting a kiss from an aunt or your mother. It can also spread from sharing utensils with people that have cold sores. This is why by age 50, 80-90% of people have oral herpes. I recommend seeing a doctor for a definite diagnosis though.