Hi all, we have been married for 5 years, TTC for 3 years without any result. Consulted the doc. Reports told severe male factor, have IVF/ICSI our only option. Since then we both are going strong and I had pelvic ultrasound, totally normal and nurse said that ovaries looked very good and DH has had his SA. I had blood work done about a year ago and the OB said that all was normal. I am just wondering what other tests we will have to do before starting IVF. I have a consultation scheduled for October, I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or been in the same situation as me. TIA.

Hi there, it’s good to know that you both are positive about it. The tests depend on how long it was since your DHs last SA. Your RE should do another one. You would also most likely have full hormone panel since it was done a year ago and STD check on both of you. Res are all different in how they approach IVF, so there may be more or less, but I think that this would be at least the minimum. They will also most likely to either as HSG or a saline sonogram on you to check out your tubes and uterus, even with IVF they need to check and make sure there aren’t any issues with tubes. No male factor with us, I had saline one done, it wasn’t too bad but not the best feeling. Good luck to you and hope that everything goes well, keep us updated.

Hi, thanks for posting, DHs SA was done 2 weeks ago which was 6/26. I am expecting a hormone panel and an HSG. Going to see the urologist next week and then RE in Sep. I am really nervous about it. Yes, sure will keep you updated.

Hi all, I understand being nervous, this whole process is one a roller coaster ride of emotions. The RE most likely won’t have your DH repeat the SA if was done just 2 weeks ago, but he may if the urologist puts him on a treatment plan to see if it improves. I’m not sure how much male factor you are talking about, but I know they can put him on medication to help out and if necessary they can go in and retrieve sperm directly and freeze it for future use. Try not to worry too much and wait to see what the urologist has to say. Let us know how it goes with the urologist.

Hi, in SA, DH had 20% motile sperm in the whole sample, FSH is 7.9 which is normal, LH 4 and low testosterone (251), so it is pretty severe. We both are trying not to worry about it until we see the urologist , but pretty scary. Thank you for the kind words

Hi! I hope you are done with all tests by now. Have you decided what to do? What treatment you will choose? I want to share my experience with you. I was hopeless few months ago. Now, after my ivf treatment I am expecting my first child. I can't describe how happy I am. Hope you will have the opportunity to feel the same.