Hello, I want to know as much as possible about IVF, now that my first cycle is starting next month and the injections from the month after. I have faced multiple miscarriages and complications but a few tests show that things are ok. DH’s SA is normal as is all BFN. HSG was clear. I produce about 3-4 eggs in one cycle. What then is stopping me from getting pregnant? If this is so, how can I be sure that IVF will be successful?   Can anybody enlighten me on this point please?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, read your post and I am sorry to hear about your losses. Each time it must have had a devastating effect on you. However, having said that, have you had detailed discussions with your doctor as to why you are not getting pregnant. If it is implantation issues that is at the root, your doctor would combine IVF with PGS/NGS/PGD. Clear up things with your RE.  And yes 1st time IVF can be successful. My DD is a first time success. Don’t know what we did so no tips sorry. Having said that DS took 7 cycles (mix of FET and IVF) and 10 embryos were used. It was a bit of a shock when it took that long after DD. But I do know that DS was quick compared to a lot of others. Try to look at IVF as a treatment plan. A lot of "illnesses” take a course of treatment to work and one cycle may not be a course long enough for you but who know it might be. Good luck, fingers crossed.  

There are certain techniques that REs employ to increase chances of IVF success as against conceiving naturally. I have had a successful IVF done and was told by the doctors there of these methods. For example, the embryologists there use fresh genetic material instead of frozen eggs. Freezing reduces egg quality. You can discuss such things with your doctor too. My DS was a first-time IVF success. However, we had done a year of fertility treatments, including 5 times IUIs, clomid and a laparoscopy. I think it can be a matter of luck, like winning lotto. However, what type of infertility you have and your age contribute to how many lotto tickets you have in the draw. Your FS could give you an estimate of your odds per cycle, but it's still not that helpful. If they tell you each cycle has a 30% chance of success, you could still do 4 or 5 cycles and not get lucky, or you could hit the jackpot first go. I found, through my IUI cycles, that having low expectations helped. I did not get excited, and tried not to be too enthusiastic. I regarded it as a long journey, and psychologically prepared myself to keep doing IVF until the end of the year, (or June, or whatever timeframe/budget point). At that point we were going to take a break, have a holiday and re-evaluate. Luckily, we didn't get to that point. I hope you have lots of luck on your first cycle.   

I agree with 2 as I too have undergone successful IVF at a clinic. Doctors there, apart from the standard tests also do sperm analysis for apoptosis. Through this test it is possible to know the presence of damaged sperm cells which in the long run can prevent successful conception as well as cause damage to the child’s DNA. This again increases the possibility of conception through IVF and has got nothing to do with natural conception as you fear. My DH and I had unexplained infertility.  We sought the help of a FS after about a year of unsuccessfully TCC.  We were one of the lucky ones and got pregnant on the first cycle.  We had been prepared for a BFN and even thought about cancelling half way (because we were only able to get three eggs and thought that it was very much a numbers game), but of course hoped that it would work first time. It does happen, but I think it's important to go in there with the full understanding that it probably will not happen first go.  I don't really have any tips for success.  I think it's very much to do with luck.  Good luck to you and hope you get a BFP the first time.  

1, 2 and 3have given great insight on the subject. What I want to add is that in spite of great advancements in medical science, REs have still not been able to accurately analyse the reasons behind the success or failure of an IVF cycle. I will share with you my part of the story, every single person I know in real life who has done or are doing IVF get it first go. I have done 2 fresh and 2 frozen and nothing and they wonder why I get upset and won't see them when they are gloating and full of it about how wonderful they are that IVF worked first go, so its just a 50-50 kind of a situation. My only advice would be not go in with the expectation that it will work first time, as hard as that is. PPs are right in saying that the first cycle is essentially experimental and largely the product of sophisticated guesswork on behalf of your FS depending on your specific set of circumstances. So, good luck to you.