Hi :] My name is Kayla. I was just diagosed with PCOS "Policystic Ovary Syndrome" I was just diagnosed on the 25th of November 2008. I was pretty shocked because I never knew about it until that day. Before my appointment, I had irregular periods on and off. I didnt have a period for 5 months, then I had one. Then I had brownish spotting sometimes when I didnt have my period. I felt fine and healthy besides not having my period is what worried me. I sometimes had headaches before I was diagnosed at least once a week would I have a headache. But they were just minor ones. When I was diagnosed my doctor told me I should be on birth control to regulate my periods and help me prevent any cancers by my ovaries and to reduce my hormone levels, hair growth and acne problem. I have been taking my birth control for 5 days now. I hope this helps me deal with PCOS. I am the first in my family to have it so I feel like I am alone. I have no idea what to eat or what diet I should be on. I weigh 270 pounds and im 18 years old. I excercise for 30 minutes everyday and im pretty active. So I do get excercize and I drink nothing but water all day and sometimes DIET pop. I never drink any sugar drinks or regular pops. I stay away from all sugars, but sometimes I have a little here and there in like a piece of cake or fat free/sugar free ice cream that I have maybe once a month. So I have taken away all sugars and fats in food that last past 2 months. I never have something to eat that is more than 10 grams of fat total in a meal. So I am watching my dieting very well. I am only 18 years old, and I want to have maybe 2 children when I am older but I am not sure with having PCOS. I am just looking for some answers to all of this. Should I be on something other than Birth Control? What foods and drinks should I be intaking? If anyone can help me please contact me at ***** or write me on here :] Thank you.
-Kayla Cannoy :?

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

Well if you want to know more about PCOS, I suggest you going to mayoclinic.com its a medical site. My youngest sister has it and she's 16 and overweight as well. Diet Pop isn't good for you. Diet pop causes you to feel hungry. That's what my sister's doctor told her. They put you on birth control so you don't ovulate and so its not painful because of all the cysts over the ovary. PCOS can cause infertility in some women. I really sugguest that you go to that site and search PCOS to find all the info you want to know about it.

Sorry to hear that you have recently been diagnosed with this annoying problem. I, too, have PCOS. There are SO many things you can do to help yourself. Certainly, you need to focus on weight loss; not just for an increased chance of pregnancy in your future, but for your overall health. My OB/GYN always suggests a good work out schedule as well as the south beach diet. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago, but somehow, KNEW before they even looked at PCOS as a possibility. Many women with PCOS are prone to diabetes or are "pre-diabetic." The South Beach Diet helps to cut out a LOT of things that can trigger harsher symptoms of PCOS.
Birth Control is one of the key things to help you at your younger age and because you aren't currently trying to conceive. There are lots of sites that you can visit and look into. One of the best sites I've found is soulcysters.com. It's a great message board for women with PCOS. It can be a little unnerving and scary when you visit sites about PCOS. Just remember one thing...all of us with PCOS are different, we have different symptoms, and deal with it differently.
And always remember, your doctor is there to help you. Good luck! :-)