I have a question and need advice. I am dieting and using this South Beach diet, which is structured around a balanced eating plan, since diet recommends eating foods that the body takes time to absorb. The diet might also help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. I actually lost some weight but my menstrual cycle is now not regular. So, can south beach diet effect menstrual cycle?
Thanks for any answer!

I was also exercising south beach diet and had no problems with menstrual cycles. This diet is more balanced than no-carbohydrate diet which might make it easier to maintain over time.
This is my experience, I hope this helped.

I am having the same problem. I just started south beach a month ago and I am now 7 days late. Are you still having the problem?

i am also on the south beach diet and having an irregular period. i was told that changing one's diet drastically can effect the menstral cycle.

I have done the south beach diet for almost 9 months in conjunction with daily exercise and lost 50 pounds.... i have alost lost my period since then too.... is it due to the diet?

i have also been having problems with spotting/abnormal cycle and dieting.

during atkins, i started bleeding 3 weeks of every month until i stopped the diet.

the same thing happened on suzanne somers' somersize diet.

the same thing happened on south beach.

and now i'm spotting on weight watchers.

during all these times, i have been on birth control and experienced normal periods for the last 10 years when i haven't been dieting. no doctors or online searches have been of any help; until now, i have not seen stories from anyone else with a similar problem. it's pretty frustrating.

Ever since I can remember, on birth control pills if I lost a lot of weight, I would get spotting. I'm not on them now, but I am dieting once again, lost about 28 pounds now, and am getting some spotting. I am also on an antidepressant, and things never seem normal anyhow when I'm on them. So, I'm not alarmed yet, if it keeps happening over 2-3 months then I will probably go see someone about it. But, weight loss seems to play a role every time for me...

Wow, glad I found this I've been wondering for a week now about it. Second week on Phase one I had breathrough bleeding also on my second week in my bcp pack. Looks like I will have a light period through end of the pack. I don't know if it's the diet, pre-menopause or something else it's good to know someone else raised the question!

Yup, same thing happens to me and I am by no means starving myself. When I eat "normally" which is less nutritous that when I "diet", my cycle is normal as can be but once I start trying to lose weight, it get's all screwy again.

Anyone found any solution to this problem?

I am so glad that I found this!

This is happening to me too. I started South Beach on January 22- and have been on it not starving myself - eating healthy and everything. Well then I was late for my period with no symptoms of it starting! this went on for 6 days and 3 pregnancy test later... I am usually every 28 days with a few times being a day early or a day late but-- 6 days! I was scared and wondered if it had something to do with the diet too!
Finally my husband (who is a massage theraptist) went and got me lavender oil and made me soak in a bath for 35 minutes and relax-- then go straight to bed... He said that the dieting or even change of eating habits can stress you body out and that I needed to relax-- and I did start the next morning (yesterday) although - this cycle seems different than normal.

Me too ! I am on Fat Smash Diet in Phase 2 I have lost 22 pounds and Have been exercising alot, outside bike riding and inside we bought an elliptical machine and I do like 45 minutes on that. I started my period on week two of my BC pack. Im now on day 8 of my early period.. I read that if you increase your calories.. Which can be done by still eating whats allowed in a diet.. You could get the period to stop and become regular again... Im gone try today I sure hope it works!!!!!!!!!! Because this sucks >:( >:( >:(

Thank God I found this! I thought I was going crazy. I'm usually 100% regular and since I started South Beach, my period started in the second week of my pack! Ack! Thanks for sharing your experiences! This has helped a bunch!

i have been on the south beach diet for 2 months and have lost 10 pounds. I am eating healthly (i think) and I have no cravings and feel satisfied, however, my period does not seem to want to stop. Four years ago I was on the diet and the same thing happened I almost required a D&C but it finally stopped with the help of some medication from my GYN.
Anybody have any answers for me? I do not want to go off the diet b/c I feel great, but I think this is bad for my body. Please help!

I am on birth control as well. I started south beach at 142. I am now 6 days into phase one and 135. I have had spotting since day 3, and unfortunately this will probably continue. I would recommend to anyone having this problem to make sure you eat red meat on the diet and/or take iron supplements. It will be interesting to see if this continues during phase 2.

I'M GLAD I FOUND THIS POST. I AM 6 DAYS INTO THE SOUTH BEACH AND AM SPOTTING. THANKS EVERYONE.