I have a problem for a few months already that I want to get rid off as soon as possible. I have noticed a pain in the lower back, right around my waist. I could feel like a dull ache, and sometimes it could be a sharp stabbing pain. I have a friend who told me it could be kidney, which causes my pain, so I want to hear more about it. Can you tell me more about reasons for kidney pain, and if there are some other symptoms?

Any pain concentrated to that small corner of the lower back could indicate kidney trouble, so I think your friend could be right. You should visit your doctor who should diagnose you. For example, diagnose of renal stone disease involves a medical history, physical examination, laboratory evaluation, and imaging tests. He will determines if you have a history of kidney stones, documents past medical conditions, and evaluates your present symptoms. Physical examination is sometimes difficult if the patient is experiencing severe pain and is unable to remain calm until doctor makes an examination. Lightly tapping on the kidney region often worsens the pain, so this could be something that could help you evaluate if you have kidney pain or something else. If you have fever beside this kidney pain, it may indicate a urinary tract infection that requires antibiotics. It is good that everyone try to prevent a kidney infection by drinking cranberry juice regularly. You should ask the doctor for a definitive opinion on that, but I am sure all doctors will recommend lots and many liquids daily. As you can guess, I would strongly recommend you to visit your doctor to get exact diagnosis of your kidney pain.