I am so nervous about my little son I cannot sleep. There is a large black nevus on my baby face. Doctors say that it is just a more or less regular birthmark, but still I feel that there might be more than they say. They said that everything was ok and let me go home. I do not even know one thing about birthmarks. Can someone please tell me anything concerning birthmarks?

Birthmarks are usually benign manifestation on baby's skin. There are 2 basic types: vascular and pigmented. First type occurs because of accumulated blood vessels beneath the skin, and the second are caused because of irregular growth of pigment cells. They come in various colors, from almost not visible to black. You will be happy to hear that the most of birthmarks disappear in the first year of life. Still, there is small percentage of birthmarks that need medical attention. Perhaps you should ask for a second opinion.