Hi. I'm a 29 year old pregnant female and I have some questions about birthmarks. You see, I have big port-wine stain on my face and it bothered me almost whole my life.
You will not believe, but my mother also had this kind of birthmark on her neck. Maybe it is just a coincidence but someone told me that there is heredity factor involved also.
I'm worried because my son could also be born with these marks.
When I was born doctors told my mother that the best therapy is leave them untouched. Is something hanged?

Well, I will try to help you with some information about birthmarks and possible removal therapy.
I'm aware that this marks, especially if they are located on a face, can attract unwanted attention and they can boost social confidence.
You see, the last 29 years- everything has changed and now- there are many options for birthmark removal. These include cryosurgery- freezing off the birthmark-surgery, X-ray or laser therapy and the application of steroids.
The best is high-energy pulse laser operations.
I don’t know how big your port-wine stain is but if it is big- it may require multiple procedures spaced several months apart.
You should also know that there is relatively little pain associated with laser removal of birthmarks.

I also have a port wine stain on my face. My chin to be specific. It is a bit larger than a quarter in size and smooth to the touch. I have had 8 treatments on it and it has been fairly effective. The birthmark is still there, just much lighter in color. The lazer actually severes the tiny blood vessels that supply blood to the birthmark and cauterizes it immediately. NO BLEEDING! It feels somewhat like a mild bee sting and burns afterwards. Each of my treatments lasted about an hour because of the size of the birthmark. The birthmark turns almost black in color for about 8-10 days and looks hidious because of the dried blood beneath the skin. It will slowly heal and lighten, just plan on not going out in public for a few days. The lazer treatment has been well worth it for me because I have been self-conscious about it my whole life as it was impossible to cover up. It has gone from a wine color to a light pink, just a bit different from my normal skin tone and easy to cover with make-up. I no longer even use a concealer which is something I have used since I was 10 years old! The treatments were about $300 dollars per session and my insurance would not pay anything.