I am 34 yrs old and I have a large hepatic adenoma. I wasn't aware of it until the day that a blood vessel inside the tumour ruptured causing the tumour to expand and fill with blood (internal bleeding). I was rushed to hospital with severe abdominal pain and a bloated stomach. They performed an emergency embolisation (they cut off the blood supply to the tumour). Now they have sent me home in the hope that the tumour will shrink so that they can eventually operate and remove it. It is so big that I look pregnant. My next scan is this Thursday and I dread it because the last scan I had made me ill for two days because of the iodine they injected in me. The doctors said that we need to make a decision after this scan about a date for the operation. I need to speak to someone who has gone through this. Have you managed to get your tumour to shrink? Did you change your diet or do anything specific? How long did it take? Did you go thru with the operation and how was it? Do you know how bad the risk is of it becoming malignant if not removed? This has changed my life completely. I am so fearful and am hardly coping with life anymore. I am looking for any little hope that someone out there can offer me.

I have a Hepatic Adenoma and have done so much research it makes my head hurt. There is about a 10% chance it will become malignant. I use there are a bunch of people who have gone through this on there and they can help. I still need to have mine removed but there is no definitive decision yet, the specialist wants to do an MRI now, but said if he confirms on this 3rd test that it is a Hepatic Adenoma then I will be referred to the surgeon to have it removed. It is quite a scary thought but I am researching and preparing myself to have this done. I hope this helps, the biggest risk with this benign tumor is rupture. The people on the healthboard are very supportive and knowledgeable and from all over the world! Keep your head up, stay positive, and educate yourself on this topic.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I'm 38. I went to the ER on Jan 5th because of instant major pain, only to find out I had a 14x8x7.5 cm hepatic adenoma that had ruptured (caused by long term use of the birth control pill, took it for 22 yrs). On Jan 13th, I went through major surgery to remove 50% of my liver (entire right lobe). I was terrified but there was no other option in my case. It took about 7-8 wks to recover from this surgery. Hopeful that this was all over, I went for a CT scan on August 19th for a follow up and my liver grew back as they said it would (80%), however I was so disapointed to find out that I have another one in my left lobe of 1.5 cm. It seems like it was already there, but when they did my CT scan in January, the results wasn't clear because of all the bleeding, and fluid that was caused by my other very large tumor. They could have removed it during my surgery if the CT scan would have been more accurate. Not sure what is going to happen now. I might have to have another surgery. I have to go back in 6 months for another CT scan to see if it grows or not. The Dr's said to not worry, they just want to keep on eye on it. Easier said then done right!!! I am more afraid of it becoming malignant if they leave it! Hoping to find more answers or information about this.
Stay positive, ask questions to your dr's!

Hey guys I just found this thread.. I am 26 and just got diagnosed with Liver Adeonomas as well. I have several small ones and one big one that they said is in the transformation stage to cancer. They want me to get the largest tumor removed within the next couple of months and they said they will be taking a third of my liver out. They also said that they are going to watch the smaller ones and don't want to take them out along with the largest one due to to much stress on the liver. How did everyone turn out on here? Have they come back? Have you had to have other surgeries?

Ninette, I am 27 years old and found out last July that I have a 7cm hepatic adenoma inside my liver. I wanted it removed because of the chance it may become malignant. My doctor advised against it because of future complications coming from being split open. I have an MRI scheduled for March to determine whether or not it has grown. If it has continued to grow, they will remove it, if not, I suppose I will have to beg to get it removed. We had been trying for over a year to get pregnant and of course this put a stop to it. Since the hepatic adenoma happens from the hormones in birth control pills I fear the hormones from become pregnant will make my adenoma blow up. Keep your chin up. It sucks beyond belief, I know; however, we cant live life being worried about what might happen if it does turn a switch. Heres to you and everybody else. Has anyone else had theirs removed? and if so, how big was it?

I am 35 years old and had a large hepatic adenoma removed 2 years ago. I have one growing againg and it is 15cm already. I have a ct scan in 2 weeks time. i was told it was benign and it was growing due to contraception. I have not been on any contraception since my operation had a baby and my husband had a vasectomy and still it came back. Im so scared it will become malignant.

Hi, I am 29 years old and 2 months ago found out I have a hepatic adenoma after giving birth to my baby. About an hour after giving birth I started experiencing extreme right sided pain, dizziness and started having a hard time breathing. After an emergency CT the Drs found that I had an adenoma that had ruptured during the delivery. I was rushed to interventional radiology where they embolized the tumor which was 15x9cm. I met with the liver specialist yesterday and thought he was going to tell me that I needed to have the tumor resected, however he recommends yearly MRI's to just watch for further growth. Although I didn't want surgery it terrifies me thinking that I have a ticking time bomb inside me that may turn into cancer. Not only do I have one larger tumor there is also multiple small tumors as well . I hate living in fear.

Hi
I'm 32 and been on the pill for around 15 years. In March I was rushed to hospital with very severe pain. After many tests over the last few months I have been diagnosed with Hepatic Adenomatosis. Which is between 10 and 50 tumours, unfortunately I have nearer 50 ish. Most of which are at the size of turning malignant. As they are spread through my liver it's inoperable so I'm stuck waiting until the next MRI to see what will happen. I need a transplant but I may not get one, they may shrink but will never go and they can't be removed due to there being so many. I can't fully do my job due to risks, I have been warned about the risk of rupture so I'm now living in a bubble, not daring to do much as I know the consequences. I truly hope things work out for us all.

I know this post is a year old but there really is not much on the Internet for people like us so I figured I would share my story. Im 26. I went into my doctor thinking I had a kidney infection. My dr ordered a CT to make
sure it wasn't stones. Good news, no stones. Bad news large mass in my abdomen. After getting an mri we found my mass was 24cm x 18cm x 7cm. I was very lucky we caught this before it got worse or ruptured.

2 weeks after discovery I had surgery to remove it and a tiny part of my liver. Luckily this was the only one I had. I was back to my desk job a little after a week after surgery. I had a very skilled surgeon. Im now 7 weeks into healing n im pretty much back to normal minus strenuous activities/exercise. I still have my "bad" days but im very happy with my progress for the size it was. To think being on my birth control pill for 10 years would cause this to happen.

Hi all. I'm a 48 year-old female with no prior health issues.
I've read every response to this post, and I can certainly relate to your situations!
In September 2016, I was rushed to the hospital with abdominal bleeding due to a 9cm hepatic adenoma. I underwent an embolization to ensure the bleeding stopped, and I was sent home to wait for surgery.
On January 26th, 2017, I had 70% of my liver resected along with the tumour and...surprise! They found a second 6cm tumour that was well hidden from the scans. My surgeon removed it with "some crafty moves" and everything is gone.
I'm home for 5 weeks and my surgeon has told me there isn't anything to worry about regarding a malignancy. He did tell me, however that because there was a second large tumour that I was quite likely to get more for the rest of my life.
This scares and depresses me because I almost died last September.
I'm wondering if anyone has spoken to nutritionists regarding special diets that may help in keeping these tumours at bay?
There isn't much in the way of understanding hepatic adenomatosis in people who aren't taking contraceptives.
I feel I need to take charge of this, but unless I have a "why", it's difficult to move forward proactively. Are any of you eating differently? Have your adenomas returned? How is your treatment progressing?

My 33 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with a 21 cm adenoma. We met with a surgeon today, and she is facing surgery in the next two months. The surgeon suggested that she eat a low fat, low sugar, low carb diet to avoid Glycogen Storage Disease. We are worried about the size and location of the tumor, and are keeping our fingers crossed.

Hello, sorry to hear about your ordeal! you are amazing! I just turned 50 and was recommended to have surgery. My adenomas - one is over 3cm the others are smaller but there are over 15 of them - they have been changing to size/shape. I feel pain once in a while on my right side - but they state I shouldnt feel them. I think they are wrong! Anyway, my surgery is scheduled for 6/28. I would like to chat with you further to discuss diet, and recovery time. I have not taken oral contraceptives in over 20 years.

Hi there, I'm 29 years old and had a liver resection 4 months ago to remove a hepatic adenoma that was just over 5cm. This was situated in my right lobe along with a smaller one. They removed my entire right lobe (2/3)
I also have a much smaller one in my left lobe that they are leaving for now to monitor. As I said it's been 4 months and although I have gone back to work now I am still having "bad days". Obviously it takes a huge amount of time for one's body to fully recover but never experiencing something like this before its hard to know what's "normal". I have my 1st ultrasound this week and am keen to know how everything is getting on in there. It's definitely been the hardest time of my life but as I'm sure many of you ladies do, I feel incredibly lucky to have found this now. Mine was benign thank God but this could have been very different in a few years time. They also say mine was caused through the contraceptive pill I have been on for 12 years. I'm interested to hear this has been the reason for many of you ladies too as I had no idea about this side effect until a few months ago. I also can't believe that some of you have much bigger andenomas and haven't had them removed immediately as my surgeons were keen to move mine at just 5cm. I hope in a little while longer I'll start feeling myself again.

I have a 9 x 5 cm adenoma and I is coming off the left lateral liver. Just under my diaphragm. It causes me shortness of breathe and stomach fullness. It was mis diagnosed as focal nodular hyperplasia. It was then reordered by an oncologist and diagnosed by radiology at one of the nations best hospitals,as an adenoma but they said watch it for one year.
I did my own research and found out what you all know. About the chance for rupture and malignancy. They all recommend removal over 5 cm because of those issues. I am having it out this week at another hospital an open procedure. Will post when I can

I am 56 years old. Never been on the pill. According to the description, it happens to women of children bearing years and take contraceptives. I am scheduled for surgery to remove mine (4 inches) in two weeks. After reading your comments it sounds pretty common, but I don't fit the age. I know this surgery will go well and it will be removed and never come back.