Has anyone had liver surgery, resection to remove tumors? I am to have liver resection and radio frequency ablation to remove multiple hepatic adenomas. I would like to hear from others how have undergone this, wondering what to expect.

ShakeyLady,

Hi, my name is Yasmine & i'm 36 years old. summer of 2011 (was 34) i had liver resection surgery done, i had over 60 (yes i said 60) tumors or adenoma' in my liver, i was constantly in & out of the hospital because the tumors were hemorrhaging within them selves causing low blood count (hemoglobin) and other sick feelings.  my surgery was 6 hours long as they removed 75% of my liver from the right side which contained majority of the larger tumors, i had to survive for a couple of days on 25% functioning of a liver but the entire liver regenerated within a couple of weeks. My liver is now in the the upper left region not on my right side.  im not going to lie, the recovery was difficult but it helps if you have loved ones around you :)

you should also know that that was not my first surgery. My first surgery was an Emergency liver supture in 2007, i was 7 months pregnant and was being monitored by ultrasound monthly. on feb 6 2007 one of the tumors ruptured in my liver and slowly released outside of my liver around my uterus (where the baby was) i was in & out of contiousness and was able to relate the i felt it was my liver not the baby, my husband called an ambulance & i was rushed in & they did an emergency c-section to get my baby boy out who they had to revive as he was not breathing when born & then they performed emergency liver supture on me looking for the opening to sew it up & stop the bleeding, i lost a lot of blood had 6 blood transfusions i also caught pnemonia and was in the ICU for days. not exactly the labour i imagined! we are both fine :)

hope my personal experience helps you in any way, if you have anymore questions please feel free.

the survivor

Hello, I had a liver resection 7 weeks ago to remove a large focal nodular hyperplasia. I have a large scar on my abdomen and actually ended up with a post-op infection that set my recover back a few weeks. It was a tough road by I am no longer in the pain and discomfort I was before the surgery. If you have any questions, please let me know.