A hepatic adenoma was discovered on my liver in 2006. I've had yearly MRI's and it's now at 1.6cm. I recently found out I'm pregnant and was wondering if anyone knew the effects of pregnancy on the tumor. My Dr. seems to think monthly ultrasounds of my liver will be sufficent....is this ok? I'm in uncharted territory here, and appreciate any info. Thanks, MJ

Rupture of the adenoma during pregnancy has been associated with high rates of maternal and fetal mortality. However, your adenoma is fairly small which is probably the reason your doctor is not overly concerned about it.

You might want to talk with your doctor about having the adenoma removed after giving birth. Although they are benign lesions, HAs can undergo malignant transformation to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Although malignant transformation is rare, for this reason, surgical resection is advocated in most patients with presumed HAs.

The primary reason for advocating surgical resection is the risk of hemorrhage.

Hi MJ, I don't know if you will get this message. I have also been diagnosed with a hepatic adenoma. Mine is very large because it ruptured and they had to perform an emergency embolisation (the tumour filled with blood causing it to expand when a blood vessell inside ruptured). My dr is now waiting for it to shrink to some extent before they operate because it is 15 to 18 cm in size. Please could you tell me how big your adenoma was when you were first diagnosed and what you have been doing in your lifestyle choices to help it shrink? I am so afraid of the operation and would love to avoid it if possible. Also, did you have any reaction to your scans? I'm getting CT scans instead of MRI's and when I had the last scan I had a reaction to the iodine they injected into me. My next scan is this Thursday and I wish there was an alternative. Hope to hear from you.

I wouldn't worry. I had a hepatic adenoma. It was 6inches in diameter (size of a grapefruit) and ruptured when I found out. They had to remove the left lobe of my liver. 4 weeks later the rest of the dozen or so HAs on the right lobe were all gone. They determined it was caused by increased hormones (birth control). Your HA might shrink once you give birth.  Things that help them to shrink are phytoestrogen free foods. Stay away from plant estrogens or anything that can increase hormone production. (Stay away from soy and High Fructose Corn Syrup).Hope this helps.

Hi. So I was also diagnosed with a hepatic adenoma. However mine is over 7cm and is inside my liver. They will do another MRI in March and hopefully it would have gone down in size. I originally told my doctor I didnt want to have another child; this decision has been tormenting me for months. I would love another child but at this point I dont know what to expect. If birth control pills make them larger, wouldnt pregnancy hormones blow them up? I have been obsessing about having another baby for a long time. I hope all you ladies and gents have had luck with yours by now. If someone could offer even a little bit of advice I would greatly appreciate it

I have the same questions. Docs aren't sure, but because u produce progesterone not estrogen while pregnant, they think the tumor should not grow. Best talk with a liver specialist, maybe they would know more. Maybe there is new info out there.

Hello.  During gallbladder surgery, doctors discovered a 4cm HA that shrunk to nothing once I got off of birth control.  I am now trying to get pregnant at 39 and am currently taking Femara.  At the end of the 5 day pill cycle, I get pain in my liver area.  I am wondering if this is pain from the tumor reactivating due to increased estrogen levels.  Does anyone else have experience with HA pain when estrogen is elevated via fertility meds?  And if anyone has been pregnant with HA, did you have any pain symptoms assosicated with its growth?

Thank you!

So about 6 weeks ago, I went to the ER with excurciating pain in my back and stomach, when they took an ultrasound, I found out I had gallstones and also a 7cm liver mass. The doctor said it could be FNH and nothing to worry about. But doctor said back in 2008, I had a 4cm liver mass but the disturbing thing is that they didn't tell me that I had it back then. If I knew that I would have taken cared of it a long time ago. Doctors can't tell whether it grew within the 6 years or when I recently got pregnant (I'm 26 weeks today). Several weeks past and I went to see a liver specialist and he told me that it could be a adenoma. They couldn't really do anything because I'm pregnant and they only can do a close ultrasound to make sure it don't grow more or rupture. I'm really scared because this is something serious to me and I worried about me and my child's life. Is this something I should be very worried about? What precautions do I need to take to make sure it doesn't grow not knowing if it ruptures one day? Please help ease my mind. Thank

You should be fine. Keep a close eye on it. Theydont rupture untill much larger. Mine was 6inches aacross before it was a problem.

Well its me again with an update. I'm now at 24 weeks pregnant with our 1st (and last) child at 39 years old (thank you Clomid!) and so far all ultrasounds have been clear with no sign of regrowth (HA was 4cm and regressed after stopping BC pills). A little nervous going into 3rd trimester since estrogen will continue to rise. Anyone have similar situation during pregnancy? My OB doesn't seem concerned and says he's not seen one grow during pregnancy, thinking maybe because it's natural estrogen production. Thoughts?

Hi, just wondering if you had updates at all? I'm hoping all went well for you. I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and have multiple adenomas, the largest is 6cm. I am so stressed about them rupturing that I'm finding it so hard to enjoy the pregnancy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure if you see this message. I am looking to start trying in the next six months. They found several adenomas just days after my daughter was born. It was about 10 centimeters when they found the largest. Would Ben very interested In finding out what your friend is doing to follow you

My advice is not to fear too much, just avoid phytoestrogens (like soy products and edamame). We monitored my hepatic adenoma during pregnancy with monthly ultrasounds and all went fine. Due to preeclampsia, I had to be induced at 35 weeks, so I don't know if the higher estrogen after that would have made a difference or not. But, many women have these and don't even know it. Stay off of birth control pills! They are what cause these things to form most of the time. Get the tumors monitored every year of your life to be sure nothing has changed about them. Congrats on your babies!!

Anything over 5 cm should be removed.

Wondering how this was found? I also had adenomas found 6 days after my daughter was born. I am now in the process of trying to get pregnant again