I have been having pain in my upper back side near my shoulder on the left side and it seems to be on the left side under my arm near my breast. It feels like a pulled muscle however it hurts to take a deep breathe,. I have copd, chronic bronchitis with of and on emphezema, I do smoke but only less than a pack a day. the pain is ther always, it just started about 3 days ago, got better, but hurts again. I do get short of breathe on a every day basis anyway. Do you have any ideas? thank you.

I have had similar pain and it is getting worse. I am in the middle of inestigating what could be causing this. So far an X-ray shows my lungs are alright. I am a smoker and when I caugh the pain is almost intolerable. I tried moist heat which didn't help, cold compresses seemed to help a little. I tried lying on a ball designed to releave back pain, but nothinng takes the pain away. I've just started taking Aleve which cuts the pain a little. I've found that as the day goes on it improves but mornings are terrible. Have you found an answer to your problem? If any of this is familiar to you please let me know. I just want the pain to stop. Breathing deeply really hurts. I can feel exactly where the pain is - under the left shoulder blade, and some of the pain seems to move from there to my chest. Help!

I have the exact same pain too. It just started out of nowhere lastnight. It's right below my shoulder blade, and really hurts when I take a deep breath, even venturing all the way around to my front (following the same rib where it hurts on the back). It also hurts to do any movement aswell. I don't know what caused it, I haven't fell or ran into anything with my back... So I don't think it's a fracture... is it just a sprain or a tense muscle? I took a Robaxaset and have been massaging it with a hand massager, but it doesn't relieve the pain much. If it persists I am going for an X-ray. This reeaallyy hurts! :-(

OK this first happend to me my freshman year of high school it hurt like crazy....for a couple of weeks! it suddenly stopped hurting and it never came back till yesterday morning i woke up. now ever time i breathe in or move the left side i get a sharp pain in the left side under my shoulder blade..weird !....im wondering if i should go to the doctor or not?

I has an episode of this recently that sent me to the ER thinking I might be having a heart attack (women have different symptoms than men, including pain int he back). After three days of testing, the lungs, arteries and heart were fine, but the pain remained and the doctor, is now treating me for pleurisy, which is the inflammation of the pleura--the layers of membrane around the lungs. It's caused by viruses, and other conditions like tuberculosis, cancer, and injury to the chest (non of which I have).

She prescribed prednisone, a corticosteroid, to see if it will give relief. I guess I'll know in a week or so. I'm also on antibiotics because the titer test for Lyme Disease came back positive (though the second part of the test came back negative) and I also have some sebaceous cysts under my arm on that side, which may be bacterial like a Staph. infection.
and may have spread to the pleura. Antibiotics don't work on viral infections, but they work on bacterial infections.

See your doctor, and tell him or her everything that might remotely be related.

Hi I have been having the same pain for a couple of days. It hurts when I sneeze cough or breath deep. It also hurts when I reach above my head or to the side. I guess in the next day or so I will see my doctor.

hi! Back in Highschool maybe like 5 years ago, I was lifting weights for my upper back sides, I inhaled aired wrong and it felt like the air or something got stuck somewhere on my left side of my upper back side. The pain goes away as long as I dont put fatige on my left upper body, such as arm movements, lifting something with my arm seems to trigger the burning pain feeling. once the pain comes back I have to either stop doing whatever I'm doing ( even brooming, or mopping seems to trigger it) and lay down for a few hours.

if anyone has or have had the same problem please post it. thank you. I really would like to know what it could be..

im 22 had 2 spontaneous (left first then about 6 months later the right) now i have C.O.P.D.. I understand that pain your talking about.. because thats the same pain from when my lungs collapsed.. get yo sh*t checked out son lol

Same here, i do smoke but have been having back problems. i havent ever gotten shortage of breath, but just yesterday i seem to be having trouble breathing and it hurts on my upper back when i do.
Ive visited other websites and it basically says that their are certain muscles in your upper back that are tense, and breathing is not soothing, for it expands the passage ways which press against the muscles.
The best thing to do is stretch/breathing excersises.
Ive noticed lately that my posture in the past week has been horrible, i sit on my computer for work in the day and later get home to do so manual work which forces me to be in some pretty uncomfortable positions.
So this explains my situation and i hope it explains some of your as well...

hi my name is nicky and i have the same syptoms as you all have. the pain is excruciating at times, moving,lifting breathing coughing etc. is awful. i have been to the doctor and been told its inflammation but i really carnt deal with it. please can somebody help me xxxx ?

Has anyone thought of having their kidneys looked at. Look up kidney failure and see if you're having any of those symptoms.

I am having the exact same problem. Just started this morning. Every breath I take, little or big, causes some pain in the upper left side of my back. Instead of under my shoulder blade, it feels to be right on top of it. I had spontaneous pneumothorax about 4 months ago and hopefully this isn't a sign of round 2. I do smoke, about 3/4 of a pack a day, but the doctor told me this has nothing to do with collapsed lungs. Stretches and massaging the area does nothing. Hopefully somebody gives us an idea as to what's going on...

Does anyone with this problem also have ACID REFLUX/GERD.. frequent stomach indigestion? Probably not related just wondering.

I has similar pain but I found the cause of treated it before it got any worse.

I'm having the same pain. I'm 16 and I just randomly got this during a workout. Does anyone know what this might be? Did I pull something? or what's going on?