I have an almost constant itching on the back of my left shoulder that started about three weeks ago. I scratch at it and looking at it can see no signs of rash, redness, bug bite. It is a very funny sensation. I can feel it build up to the actual itching. It stops but comes back several times during the day. I also have lower back pain for years now (sciatica)
Is it possible that this new phenomena is related to that or could it be related to a nerve ending problem or compressed nerve. It is very odd and I would like to know what you think.

i have exactly the same thing - it's driving me mad.. Anyone know what it is or how I can stop it please?

dermnetnz.org/systemic/notalgia-paraesthetica.html

Capsazin 2 times a day has improved my life dramatically.

canarysquack wrote:

lbloodgood wrote:

I have had the itch at the area of the left shoulder blade - same spot for several months, about 1 month ago the itch went away and now I have pain- I have noticed that I am experiencing pain along the back side of the left arm, this pain is not a pinched nerve pain it is more deeper- sometimes I wake up at night and have pain under my left arm. Yes I am going to the doctor to be checked out- I am a Cancer -Carcinoid Tumor (3/4 right lung removed three years ago)survior. Now every pain I get I start to freak out a bit. This is the first new thing that has happened since they discovered my lung tumor. (non smoker).

Notalgia paresthetica is a condition where the skin of the upper back becomes itchy, and there is often a darker
patch of skin on the itchy area. Notalgia paresthetica may be caused by a problem with the nerve cells that
provide feeling to the skin of the upper back (sensory neuropathy). Skin changes, if present, are due to chronic rubbing and scratching of the affected area.

Who's At Risk
Notalgia paresthetica can affect people of any age, of any race, and of either sex. However, it is thought to be
most common in middle-aged to older adults. Women seem to develop notalgia paresthetica more frequently
than men.

Though researchers are not certain what causes notalgia paresthetica, some studies have demonstrated spine
disease in the spinal bone (vertebra) at the level of the affected skin. Scientists speculate that spine disease
due to age or injury may press on a nerve providing feeling to that area of the skin, which leads to itching.
Signs and Symptoms
The most common location for notalgia paresthetica is the upper back, especially between the shoulder blades.
The area may be confined to only one side of the upper back, or it may occur in the middle of the upper back, over the spinal bones.

Notalgia paresthetica often occurs without any obvious changes to the skin. If skin changes do occur, there may be a well-defined patch of darker skin (hyperpigmentation) over the affected area.

Although periodic itching is the main symptom associated with notalgia paresthetica, some people notice pain, tingling, or a change in feeling (sensation) in the affected skin.

Self-Care Guidelines
Dry skin is a common cause of itching, so it helps to apply a moisturizer to the itchy area at least twice a day.

If moisturizers are not helpful, try an over-the-counter cream containing an extract of hot peppers, called capsaicin, and follow the package directions carefully. You will probably not get immediate relief, and the capsaicin cream may take up to 6 weeks to have its full effect. If the capsaicin cream is effective, symptoms will likely come back after you stop using the cream.
When to Seek Medical Care
If moisturizers and capsaicin cream are not helpful, see your doctor for an evaluation.

Treatments Your Physician May Prescribe
Your doctor may be able to diagnose notalgia paresthetica by taking your history and examining your skin. In addition, your doctor might order an X-ray or another type of radiologic study, such as an MRI or a CT scan.

If you do have a diagnosis of notalgia paresthetica, your doctor may try the following:

* Prescription-strength anesthetic cream
* Prescription-strength corticosteroid (cortisone) cream

If the itching or pain becomes intolerable or interferes with your activities, your doctor may prescribe an oral anti-seizure (anti-epileptic or anti-convulsant) medication, such as:

* Gabapentin
* Topiramate
* Oxcarbazepine

If these approaches are not effective, and if your symptoms are severe enough to justify it, more aggressive procedures may be performed to relieve pressure on the compressed nerve:

* Injection of local anesthetic near the compressed nerves as they exit the spine (paravertebral block)
* Spine surgery

It could be a dry patch of skin. Try some good lotion that will really mouisturize well. Eucerin helps me with dry legs, have someone massage in the lotion in for you, it could help you. :-P

find a good chiropractor who also treats whole body. Could be a food allergy/sensitivity

I have exactly the same symptom and it is driving me insane. Did you ever find out what was causing this sensation??

Thanks

It's a possibility, I also have sciatica once in a blue moon. I've made a Dr.s appointment but it's two weeks away. This is soooooo annoying.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have the exact same thing. Also had sciatica.

I have the same thing, it started months ago, and now it feels like nerve ending are getting involved. Feels like worms under the skin, but the itch doesn't last. My aunt has the same thing on the same shoulder, itching without a rash. Anyone know what to do? If I go to a dermalogist we will think I am crazy.

Been dealing with this same problem for months now, feels like a itch under the skin under my left shoulder blade same spot every time. There are no signs of bite marks or blimishes my shoulder looks normal and the itch seems to be under the shoulder in the muscle or something.

Same problem and at the same time I can't breath...

I've have similar itching sensation for a couple of years...comes and goes...I have wondered if it is related toblood sugar.  It is definitely not dry skin.  I can feel the nerves firing in the same area and the skin is now darker due to the itching in the same spot for a long time period of time.I have searched for a natural remedy but have not found anything so far.  Would love to hear if someone has found something.

Thanks,

Doro

Your skin itch is in the same place as mine. I have had the problem for about two months, and I can also see nothing on the spot, nor can anyone else. The skin looks normal but itches almost constantly. Have you found any relief or a couse?