I am having an unusual situation. For about two weeks I have at and "itching" sensation on the back of my left shoulder. I scratch it and it goes away but it keeps coming back. There is absolutely nothing there. There is no redness, bug bite-look, rash of any kind. I am an office manager and spend a great deal of time on a computer.
Just to give some history, I do experience low back pain (sciatica).
I am wondering if this could be from the lower back or if it may have something to do with nerve endings in the area of the itching or could it be related to a gastrointestinal problem. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Hi, you're not alone! lol

I've been having the exact same problem for about a year now and it's driving me crazy!
Can anyone help with any suggestions of what it may be or how to get rid of it please?
Many Thanks

I have the same thing. My right upper back over my shoulder blade. It itches and itches all the time. I have a back scratcher by my computer, by my bed, in the kitchen. It has been itching for years now. I see nothing. Went to dr and he just looked at me funny when i told him about it. I bought a device to put suntan lotion on my back and I use it in the bathroom after I bath to put lotion on the area. I apply lotion twice a day but it still itches.

I have had an itchy left shoulder for about 6 months now. theres nothing there when i look. my wife says she cant see anything but it itches.I scracth it it gies away. but then returns later.????what is this crazy itchy thing.

Hi, I get this too! And it's become so annoying I've just spent HOURS googling! I think it MAY be something called Notalgia Parasthetica... there's loads of info on the net about it and I know Wikipedia isn't the best source but it's the simplest to follow so here's a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notalgia_paresthetica hope that helps!!

This is a better link actually... visualdxhealth.com/adult/notalgiaParaesthetica.htm
if you follow the links at the bottom it describes symptoms and possible causes... I've never actually checked for discolouration... don't think I want to...

I too have the same itch. it's on the left side center near my shoulder blade. I've had it for about a year. No visible signs of a rash, nothing but a maddening itch. It's not the shirt labels or a necklace either. Frustrating. I should ask my doctor but there is nothing there to see.

Finally I've found out what this is - its driving me crazy. Is it worth seeing a GP - anyone have any treatment for this? I have itching and burning pain but no pigmentation

I have had this for 19 years. The dermatologist said 19 years ago that it was a nerve, usually among women, that cause the itching. She gave me zostex (something like that) cream. It caused my eyes to sting because it is hard to get it out from under the fingernails and the area to apply it is hard to reach, so I stopped the cream treatment. But this last month the itching is almost unbearable so I am going to try the dr. again to see if there is any new treatment.

I also have an itchy shoulder, it started with a pain in my shoulder then it turned into feeling like i had sunburn on my shoulder and from time to time it gets really itchy!!
I am going to see the doctors about it on friday.

Can you tell us how your doctor appointment turned out? It would be nice to hear how you're doing. Thanks!

I have had a dark, itchy spot on my left shoulder for 5-6 years now. It did seem to be worse at night but recently, it seems to have gotten worse throughout the day. I am going to try the capsaicin cream that was listed in a previous post. If anyone has anymore insight, please post it....thanks.

I get this mostly after the summer I use Glaxal Base moisture which you can buy at a drugstore it squite cheap. I load it on in the am
and in the pm. It has really helped still a little itchy but not as bad as it was.
Hope this helps some!!!

Hi there, I was looking in my drugstore for this but I couldn't find it. Do you know if it is available to buy online too? I would like to use it. Thanks!

Me too! I have no clue what it is. It is on the back of my left shoulder. I have had it for several years. No rash or discoloration of any kind. If you find out what makes it itch, please share it with us! Thanks!