I’m very puzzled and hope someone may have an answer.

For about a week now, when I drink cold liquids or eat cold foods, I get a pain that shoots down my upper left side of my back. It goes away in one second. It’s almost as if I feel it running down my left side of my back and then the pain is gone. I had hoped it would have went away by now and I wonder if this could have anything to do with my lungs?

Hot foods and liquids do not hurt me, anything slightly cooler then my body temp, does hurt.

Any input would be very much appreciated

Anyone who is looking for the subject of back pain when swallowing specifically, between the shoulder blades (trapezius muscles) here is my story. One night while shopping in Wal-Mart I felt itching in my back and ignored it. The next day I went to eat in a restaurant and felt a sharp pain in my back, when I swallowed a chicken wing I ignored it. That night I ate dinner and felt the pain with each swallow. I said to myself if it does not go away in two days I will see a doctor. Sure enough it did not go away and I got extremely anxious. I went to see the doctor, after many hours on the internet. He sent me for a barium swallow, stating he never heard of such a thing. When I went to the Radiologist, ( who saw me personally for the swallow) he told me he had heard of it and it could happen with injury to the trapezius muscle. He also mentioned that the trapezius muscle is a long muscle and is related to the larynx, pharynx and sternocleidomastoid muscle via Cranial Never XI (Accessory nerve). I remember injuring that muscle seriously that day I went to Wal-Mart, but could not find any link between injury and this type of symptom. Sure enough when the muscle healed about 2 weeks later, the pain went away. I hope this helped anyone who is going crazy trying to find this information. Of course if you feel this is not your case, see a doctor right away.

I too started experiencing this, but after reading the previous post, I now realize it's from the strenuous back workout I performed at the GYM days ago. I think I overdid it.

i had that same feeling awhile back with cold liquids..turns out it was ulcer...which was almost perforated (very dangerous) get it checked by your doctor....

Thanks so much! Just a few minutes ago I started feeling this intense pain in my chest and back when swallowing and got extremely nervous. I read a few other posts and this seems to fit- I did an upper body workout at the gym for the first time in a few months last night! Of course if it doesn't get better I'll consult the doc but at least now I won't make it worse by stressing.

Guest wrote:

Thank you so much. I have the very same thing and very weak muscles HUG to you Carol

Same thing here. I learned its not a big deal unless the pain gets so bad it becomes unbearable. In that case, go to emergency room! Otherwise, take a long, hot shower, rub in some icy hot or something similar, drink some hot tea, and have a few ibuprofen. If you have a heating pad or hot water bottle, it may also help. What is happening is, the trapezius muscle has irritated nerves in that region. The muscle is stiff and constricted. You will need heat to make the muscle relax. Accupuncture will also help. But for most people, it will go away within a few days. Take it easy, though. Good luck.

Swallow Back Pain Lady wrote:

Hi SWALLOW BACK PAIN LADY,

I HAVE THIS PAIN FOR TOTALLY 1 YEAR, EVERYDAY. WHEN I EAT, DRINK, OR BURP, IT IS THERE WITH ME ON THE LEFT SIDE, COMING FROM MY NECK TO THE SHOULDERBLADE. IT IS SO ANNOYING AND HURTS A LOT. DO YOU KNOW WHY THIS CAN HAPPEN? I HAVE SEEN MANY DOCTORS AND DONE LOTS OF TEST BUT IT IS NOT DIGNOSED. I FEEL SO DESPEREATE REALLY.

Hello! I just googled this symptom, which I have had for almost a week. Feel fine otherwise. How are you now? Did you get a diagnosis? THANK YOU! p.s. I fell a 2 weeks ago, hard, landing on my chest. Thx!

thanks i was so worried about my back pain when i swallow

This actually works!! I was suffering with the same pains when swallowing & even talking! I have rested my back for most of the day against a hot water bottle and have taken 2 doses of iburofen during the day. All pains have now gone.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I had hurt my upper back moderately the day before, but wasn't sure if it could be related.  My girlfriend had a similar type of pain in her neck, due to an inflamed nerve (glossopharyngeal neuralgia), and I originally thought it may be something similar.

Thanks. Going thru it right now

Thank you!!! I've been experiencing this.

OMG,thats what I've been going through for the past few days. I did stretch my back and pulled the muscle between my blades. Then a couple days later I noticed the pain when I swallowed. I feel better now after reading this. However, if the pain persists, I will go see my doctor. Thanks so much.