Hello!
I am a 26 year old non-smoking female.  I have noticed that I have a medium gumball sized growth below my right tonsil.  I am not certain if it is my tonsil, it seems fairly low.  There is no pain or infection related to this large lump.  It is not hard, and I have poked it to see if any pain or discharge occurs.  None of either, but it seems to be tissue like.  There are no white spots, and only appears to have small red lesion like spots on it.  It seems to have been present for quite some time.

Background: I have always been told I have slightly large tonsils.  Starting about September 2011 I started to get a range of general sicknesses, doctors guessed strep, bronchitis, pink eye... no concrete diagnosis.  Just general malaise, and even though they suggested highly contagious diagnoses, I never made my roommate or boyfriend sick.  I would be sick for a week or two, feel okay for a few days, then a new illness would occur.  I was prescribed puffers and antibiotics, then a penicillin, which helped the symptoms, but seemingly not the lump, which I thought would go away on its own at the time.  I have also been battling since this sickness with general mild to severe recurring yeast infections.  Not sure if this is related, but they started at the same time, and I have been struggling to get rid of them.  Mild symptoms still present.  

Due to my prolonged general sickness (walk in clinic doctors unsure of what made me sick for 3 months) until December 2011, I was assuming the large tonsil was due to residual sickness, just hadn't fully healed yet.  Last night I took a look with my roommate, a mirror, and a bright lamp, and it seems very worrisome.  I have been feeling better since beginning of December, but I have been concerned as to what could have caused my mystery illness and wondering if this large lump is related.  

I can provide more information if requested, but I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be.  I will be making an appointment with my new doctor (was finally referred) today.  Just wondering for some general info on possible scenarios.  

Thank you for your help!

my daughter has what they call tonsil junk its where she had sore throats as a child to many i guess but it caused pockets to form by her tonsils that collect food particals

Hi! Was just wondering if you ever got insight to what was going on? I'm in a similar boat myself. I'm a 28 y/o female, with a history of recurrent tonsillitis. Recently I developed the sensation of what felt like a piece of food stuck in my throat on the right side. I felt with my finger and it feels like a lumpy kind of bump. It feels like tissue, it's soft, no pain, just the odd feeling when I swallow. Calling my doctor this morning, but just looking around for similar experiences. Thanks!

I have this too, did you find out what it was?

I've been having this exact same problem for quite a while!! I feel like i have a chicken bone in my throat, and when I squeeze my throat, hurts as if one of my tonsils was inflamed or infected!! Went to see my ENT, and after examination he prescribed me VALIUM!! Said I'm so stressed out, I'm choking myself!! Since i started using it,i feel so much better!! And I'm a smoker and a drinker!! Check your levels of stress and analyze what's going on in your life that might be making you choke yourself!! My ENT, told me that a lot of people have this problem and they just don't realize that they're stressed out to the max!!Hope this helps!!

I just wento the ENT last week and he told me it was something called a lith. It's a growth that may stay there n get bigger, or it could go away. Hesaid it's nothing to b concerned about now since it doesn't bother me but may have to have my tonsils out if it gets large n starts to bother me. I Did have the CMV virus & I think that is what actually brought this on.

I have had a similar growth on my left side since June 2013 (it's now October 18). It started out as a feeling of something stuck in the throat and if I press my neck down, I could feel it press against my throat. A week goes by and eventually this thing settles right under my left tonsil (not actually in the tonsil itself). There was absolutely no pain and I had no symptoms of anything serious and it was fleshy colored... almost like a bigger, second tonsil but gumball-shaped.

Then in late September (about 3 months after), I noticed it had been cut (probably because I ate hard chips) and began bleeding a really small amount. The next day the gumball growth started becoming black and a bit swollen, and that's when I decided to go to the emergency. There they quickly brought in an ENT specialist and began asking me questions regarding family history of serious illness, autoimmune disease, etc. I had no serious symptoms of anything, bloodwork was clean and outside of a slight fever, all was well. The doctor then prescribed Penicillin and I took those over the next ten days. After taking penicillin, the swelling and black portion reduced a lot and the bleeding completely stopped. The growth remained though.

The ENTs ordered a CT scan to be safe and it revealed that there was nothing spreading in my neck area. I was scheduled for a biopsy and had it done. Results will be back by the end of the month, but doctors don't fear it is anything serious.

One thing I did have was a bad cold at the end of May (before this thing started growing). I did get over it, though, and am not sure if they are related.

Until the biopsy results are back, I would say it's probably just a swollen lymph node that may or may not have to be removed (tonsillectomy). If you notice it begins to shrink in size over a period of time, it's most likely nothing. If it begins to grow, it could be something more serious.

In any case, get it checked with an ENT and they will do a biopsy to make sure it's nothing serious, but if you have no major symptoms (like lost weight without trying, black stool, family history of cancer, etc.), it should be ok.

I have the same thing. It's caused by gerd or larengelical reflux. It's no joke. I had to request acid reflux ppi meds to find out. Check with a ent and gastrologist if the meds makes u better. It gave me chronic sore throat migraines athsma fatigue low fever loose teeth and my teeth were always sore.. it causes a whole bunch of symptoms you wouldn't suspect. Google gerd and larengelical reflux.

Also they blamed anxiety athsma and smokeing. The ppi is a stomach acid stomach pump inhibitor. No side effects. The give u 15 day trial and with in 3 days most of my symptoms went away. They need u to do the trial in order to diagnose u. Some ppl have silent reflux. But it's still reflux.

I have exact sinario. Was sick with terrible cold for more than month. Had a horrible stomach bug and threw up one entire night with a lot of acid from throwing up...felt like my throat was burning. And a day later noticed the big guy ball on my left tonsil. Saw dr today and he is sending me to ENT. What did your ENT appt reveal?

What ever came of yours I found a lump sale say

Hi mayrme,

I have noticed you posted over a year ago and i wonder how it went with you? As you have not updated ever since then. I have the same issue as you and i am really intrigued on what you found out. Please reply.
Many thanks

Alex

the pink eye and yeast infections may be a completely separate problem, that combination may indicate Chlamydia. Ask for a urine test, if it's positive you take a tablet and it's gone. But if you don't get it treated, in the long term you end up with many other problems.
If your doctor is prescribing you anti biotic alot that will also cause yeast infections.
Your throat sounds like another problem all together, I'd be interested to see how you went.

I have that same feeling occasionally and when I looked really well at my tonsils I noticed that they have little holes/crypts in them and in my case it was just partially broken down food particles, bacteria, and other debris that combines and calcifies into what looks to me like Nerds ( those candy pebbles in the box). They are an off-white and kind of yellowish color. All you have to do is take a cotton swab, or toothbrush ( I use either a toothpick or the pointy end of those flossers and that works really well) and just work the debris out of the tonsil hole. These things are called Tonsil Stones and they are actually quite common. If you have multiple stones at once or get them like every other week then I would see a doctor. Hope this helped!

I had the same feeling of something stuck in my throats for a couple of weeks. Then I noticed my right side tonsil was swollen and had a white lump on it. Went to the doctors and was told it's tonsillitis after him trying to scrape it off with no luck.

It started to get bigger over a few days, then I found this thread and reading the comments on what it could be, decided while having some dinner and some lemonade I decided to take a large gulp and shake my head around to cause more fizziness, then gargle a small amount as well.

Repeating this process a couple of times while eating. After I finished eating I had a look in the mirror and 'Bingo' it had dislodged. Now I no longer have the stuck feeling in my throat. Give this a try!