Last Tuesday (11 days ago) I had a really bad sore throat. As it progressed I had fevers and eventually white spots on my swollen tonsils. It was very difficult to swallow and I felt like I had no energy. As the week progressed, the fevers went away and the soreness was manageable but my tonsils and lymphnodes remained very swollen. I felt as though I was healing and that I would be fine come Sunday. Wrong.

By Sunday, my right tonsil was especially painful and swollen and the white spots appeared once more. As the days progressed it seemed as though my entire right side was swelling. On Wednesday morning I went to the emergency room because my right ear ended up with an extremely painful external ear infection. By that time it seemed as though the infection had left my throat and migrated to my ear. I was put on antibiotic and pain drops and was recommended by the doctor to take an OTC pain killer- I chose Tylenol extra strength. With the medications everything seemed manageable and as though I would be finally getting better.

Thursday morning I woke up with 1/2 the hearing in my right ear and my left tonsil now very swollen and painful. Since then my ear has been getting gradually better, but my left tonsil gradually worse. I have been unable to eat normally since then, and when I wake up it is especially bad. My tonsil is huge and throbbing. My uvula is stuck to it because its taking up the entire left side of my mouth. I have a hard time even opening my mouth. It feels worse now than I did in the first place, and I can feel pressure on my ear from the tonsil as well. I have a feeling that it wants to spread to my left ear now, too. I am wondering if any of this sounds normal. I cannot afford another doctor visit!

I am normally able to shake sore throats in a couple of days, so I'm now starting to feel a little freaked out by this things persistance. (it also doesn't help that my friend recently was taken to the emergency room with the same symptoms and ended up with an abcess on his tonsil) So all advice is welcome...

Im having these same symptoms... What was wrong? And what should I expect?

I have had this forever. Only one way to get rid of it...get the tonsils out!

I've had bad swollen tonsils--white spots, fever, etc.  It spread to both ears and the eardrums burst.  THEN it spread to my facial nerve and I got Bell's Palsy-- which made half my face unresponsive.  Luckily, it went away after treatment, although there are still lots of residual effects.  I still have crunchy sounds in my ear canal that they say will never go away, and the muscles in one side of my face are slightly weaker than the other.

Anyway-- apparently tonsil problems can be caused by a bacteria infection that can be treated with antibiotics (although I guess virus can mess it up, too).  Definitely see a doctor if you're getting huge, sore, infected tonsils.  You really don't want to wait a week or two, like I did! 

I have one swollen tonsil at the moment and it's worrying me, but so far it's not huge with white spots, but I am thinking I might go see a doctor if it gets worse or doesn't go away soon...

i have swollen on the right side and very painful please help with any advised. thank you