Well, I have had this same illness since November now. Its about the 4th time I have had it. The symptoms are swollen neck glands, swollen tonsils with puss patches, sore dry throat feeling, and fatigue. I have been tested for strep and mono. The first time I had these symptoms I got the meds, but didnt finish them like a dummy, and the second time I had them it was during finals week at college, so I didnt go to a doctor. I just finished the old prescription from the last time and the symptoms went away for a while. The third time I got the same symptoms over break, and went to the doctors. That is when I had the mono and strep test which both came back negative. They gave me medicine for tonsilitus, and I took all of that. Now, I have the same symptoms again, and I am wondering if it is possibly something else or if my body became immune to antibiotics since I didnt take them regularly the first two times. What else could it be?

I have like the exact same problems, this is like the third or fourth time i have had a bad swollen throat and neck gland in the last couple months. The first couple times it came with sinus problems (which i thought was the main cause), but this time no sinus problems. My doctors gave me same antibiotics, the stronger ones seemed to help a little, but nothing spectacular.

i have the exact same problem right now. it started as a sinus thing then the the throat pain/dryness, i was tested for mono and strep as well and they were both negative. i got put on antibiotics and they seemd to help alittle, but i was never 100 percent.
the worst thing is the dry throat for me, nothing seems to help, and my voice has not been the same for a month now, and everytime i move my head a certin way my ears pop, and get clogged with fluid. i keep going back to the doctor and they just tell me to rest. i don't know if i need my tonsils out or if it is allergies, but either way nothing seems to help and it sucks.

I have had a red sore thrat with enlarged tonsils, on and off now for over 5 Months, more on than off. Like everyone else I am negative for strep and Mono, tried anitboitics once, and am neary to the end of a second lot. Also on anti acid meds and de-congestion tabs. The antibiotics clear up the nose, but never the throat. I am due to go back to the docs next week and then to a ear, throat and nose doctor. Hopefully there is an end in sight. If it means taking them out...fine. Getting to the point now when I want to cut them out my self!

At least there are others out there feeling the pain as well.

Good luck to everyone that has this...hopefully we all will healthy again soon

Reading posts on this topic dating back to February '07. These posts could have been written by my son. What is causing this? It must be a virus, spread by something young people are doing. My husband and I have not caught it. Has anyone gotten a diagnosis? My sons tonsils are swellen, it always starts with a fever, and nauseau, then there are the sores on his tonsils and the fatigue as well as the throat pain. It seems to also have some stress connection. The first time was during college exams, this is his second time and he has a huge job project he is responsible for. Looking for answers...............

I dont have a dry thoat more like a pain in my throat its kinda hard to breath an almost impossbile to fall asleep and stay asleep it feels like someones pushing my throat in with there thumb or something can any one help

I have been sick with this illness for about 4 years now.. my tonsils have been swollen the whole time. When I first acquired it, my throat was on FIRE! It hurt every time i swallowed and i was spitting out this foul smelling phlegm that was a dark brown in colour, sometimes black and sometimes more yellowy-orange. I was also quite tired, so i thought it was mono..As well as everyone else here, I have been tested for mono strep and all that jazz, but all tests came back negative. Unfortunately I seem to have given it to a couple of girlfriends I had over that time span, but the strange thing is it never effected them as much and went away much quicker..however I do believe it is recurring for them as well. EVEN MORE STRANGE is what that lady said about how adults aren't catching this, because my parents aren't catching it along with any other adults I came into contact with. After about a month it seemed to go into a dormant stage with my tonsils still swollen completely, however the pain was gone and i didn't cough up any phlegm. When it seemed to be in a dormant stage, my tonsils were secreting whitish-yellow chunks that stay in shape but can easily be crushed. In this stage I did not pass on this illness to others. I have been to many, many doctors all that have been ineffective. I have been prescribed a whack load of antibiotics and whatnot, all of which did basically nothing.(or made things worse) They just cannot figure out what it is. It has come back about 3-5 times (i think) Consequently, my only real advice to you all is to take your health into your own hands, which is what I'm attempting to do at this point. (with moderate success)

If you would like more information just ask, I may have left some things out and I apologize, but I am sick right now and my brain is doing a sh*t job so I don't even know if it will make sense to other people. hahaha
Sorry for being so graphic.

i had the exact same symptoms most of my teen years. it turned out to be glanular fever which intrun gave me the most horrifically painfull sore throat. swollen tonsils covered in puss. acheness and constantly felt drained. get your tonsils out and stock up on vitamin c tablets.

I have tonsillitis right now and am doing freshman high school finals. I know they are important to get to college, but I really just want to stay home and stay in bed where I can take better care of myself and not hack up phlegm on the person next to me. What should I do? Grin and bear the rest of finals or stay home sick?

don't worry. no matter the illness, time will heal it. that goes for anything. just stick through it and all the pain will wash away....

I went to the doctor on may 27th with a really bad ear infection in my right ear. My ear drum was so swollen it was rubbing on the tiny little bones yet i had no dizziness or nausea. I took all of my meds twice a day on time. 5 days after my meds were over my ear felt just as bad the doctor said ti was the same and chronic. Sunday July 4th,2010 at night time my right ear started stinging, didn't hurt like before. I woke up that morning, July 5th, 2010, with a terrible sore throat my left tonsil was slightly swollen while my right one was very much so and black. By the end of that night both tonsils were swollen and black, right tonsil still worse. July 6th 2010, I go to the doctor with both tonsils very swollen and black, the back half of my tongue was completely discolored and white. The doctor gives me antibiotics and a lab for 'bugs' was supposed to call me today July 6th, 2010 but never did. Since Monday it has been almost impossible for me to swallow every time I do I cringe. The doctor said this was new to her before and very strange. I took antibiotics today @ 11AM and they have become more swollen they are barely touching now and I am frightened. Also i have been very very tired and sleeping all day and night about a half hour at a time then up for 10min since every time I swallow I wake up in severe pain.

I had something close to that with the sore throat and swollen tonsils along with vomiting that was like bil, I thought it was just a sines but when the vomiting started it was every 15 to 20 mins my dad had to take me to the hospital that night I tryed everything to help it but nothing did. Well they ended up taking out my tonsils they still didn't tell me what was wrong even after being tested for everything under the book for like five days it wasn't fun thats for sure. This has been about two years ago and now I kinda feel the same way again but not as bad.

im from the philippines and i to have puss patches on me throat, it's hard to get it with cotton buds so i use a plunger, from a syringe, no needle offcorse. have high fever and head ache and sore throat. it's the second time around for me, the last time went away with antibiotices. guys n girls i just wanna share this with you cuz i think i know the culprit. it's random kissing.. you know in bars, i'm kinda of a party animal so fegures im more open to infection. my doctor told me that infections only come back if you where contaminted by it again. meaning the girl that i was with must have the same infection then she pass it to me.. :'( honestly its a major turn off cuz she was so hot and got the body of a porn star.. (TMI) anyway sorry bout that.. so im conna take a trip to me doctor again and now i'm having second thoughts about calling the girl or sharing me discovery with her, or should i risk getting nfected again if we kiss? tsk tsk... a super hot babe with a disease.. :'(

ive have had swollen tonsils for about 3 days now and ever since it hurts when i swallow my saliva or eat. and also my right ear kinda feels clogged and it hurts whenever i yawn can anybody tell me whats wrong?

I had alot of trouble with my tonsils until I finally got them removed. My tonsils had gotten porous, they had large openings and pits in them, and these pits would produce these little wads of yellowish white, kind of waxy material. This is not pus, it's more akin to the plaque that accumulates on your teeth. I glibly referred to them as "tonsil turds" cause they smelled bad, but your doctor will know them as tonsil stones or tonsilliolith. It can be really uncomfortable and give you bad breath. I also constantly had strep throat or tonsillitis and my tonsils were chronically inflamed. I would get sinus infections and an ear infection would invariably follow. The ear infections were the worst, because I could actually feel the inflammation and the infection spreading up into each ear one at a time. These episodes would culminate with my eustachian tubes completely closing up and my ears pressurizing to the point of burning agony before they'd eventually depressurize explosively, causing so much pain that I once nearly collapsed.

Between a problem with my uvula (the dangly drop shaped thing in the back of your throat) swelling up at night, my swollen tonsils and an already existing case of sleep apnea, my ENT agreed to remove my tonsils. I was 38 at the time, and I won't lie that surgery and the recovery was hell.

However, the outcome and aftermath have been sweet relief and completely worth it. I do still have the occasional sore throat or ear ache, still can get a nasty sinus infection but it is NO WHERE near as bad as it used to be. It's like without the nice soft susceptible tissue of my tonsils to use as a point of entry and then base camp, the bacteria or virus or whatever that was regularly attacking me just isn't as successful as it once was. I'd recommend pretty much anyone to get them removed if you can, just take the plunge and do it - you'll be happy you did.

For those who are stuck with theirs, one way to get rid of tonsil stones is to get an oral syringe, the type used to give young children medicine, and then get the unused UNUSED plastic tube from a can of WD-40 or any other aerosol product. With a little work you can stick that thin plastic pipette into the end of the syringe. You then draw up into the syringe a solution of warm water and hydrogen peroxide (don't use much peroxide, you will end up swallowing some of this no matter what). Now, very very carefully, using a flashlight and this oral syringe, insert the end of the pipette right up against your tonsil and irrigate those pits and crypts in your tonsils. GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY is the keyword, do not use much water pressure as this tissue is soft and you can break the skin if you squirt it too hard. Also please don't stab yourself with the plastic tube, don't swallow more of the solution than you can help, don't choke yourself, etc etc - BE CAREFUL.

You'll be shocked and horrified at what you wash out of your tonsils.. and amazed at how easily this stuff just washes out when no amount of coughing or gargling would budge it. You'll also be amazed at how much better food tastes and smells and at how much better your breath is :-)

Good luck everyone!