I'm so worried about my tonsil right now. Back in december I noticed that my right tonsil was swollen. I don't feel sick, and the doctor prescribes me medicine but nothing has worked. It basically feels like I have something in my throat I can't swallow, and it's just really annoying. Over the past month it's started to hurt a bit, but that's probably from me worrying over it so much. I've taken antibiotics but they didn't do a thing. Then my doctor had me take Claritin and some kind of heartburn medicine to keep my stomach acid from coming up. But it's had no effect. I'm about to whack my doctor over the head with something for not being able to help me. Any ideas???

Hi Mandycane,

I can’t believe that you have swollen tonsil for more than 6 months and the doctor was unable to help you. I think you should talk to another doctor, because this one is not doing a good job. Hat kind of antibiotics did he prescribed you? Has he ever mention that you might need a surgery? I mean if more than 6 months of treatment did nothing to ease and heal the tonsil, then you should do more drastically treatment and have surgery to remove your tonsil.

Did you have any other problems with throat? Did you notice any problems with thyroid gland? Ear infection could cause the swelling of the tonsil. Could this be a problem?

Hi MandyCane

No need to worry. This happened to me exactly. My right tonsil was HUGE like 3 times the size of the left. My primary care told me it looked and felt normal. I wasnt happy with this so I went to an ENT. He gave me clindaymycin and said he though it was just big because I had just gotten over being sick. I went back a month and a half later with no change. He seemed a little more concerned but said that it is probably nothing to worry about. He left it up to me if I wanted a tonsillectomy or not. I just got it done yesterday. So far the recovery hasnt been anything like Ive been reading online. I ate lots yesterday had lots of water. My pain has been between a 1-3/10 never any higher. When the doctor talked to my husband she said that when she took my tonsils out they were the same size as eachother. It just appeared one was larger. It looked so big that when I opened my mouth peoples reaction was OMG That doesnt look right. She did a quick biopsy on the spot and sent my tonsils off to pathology. She is absoutely expecting everything to be ok. I suffer from anxiety and this whole episode had me so worked up. Ive read lots of similar stories online. I am sure you will be ok. Take care!

I am glad I came across this site, I've had a swollen tonsil for 4 months now, I have no other symptoms but this feeling in my mouth is terrible I'm so anxious with the feeling and every day is a challenge to try and stay positive without having a panic attack due to this feeling in my mouth. It started after I had a bad viral infection back in January since then the tonsil has been swollen on my right side, I've seen 12 doctors who tell me it dosent look that bad, I've had all manner of drugs for all manner of diagnosis but nothing has helped, I recently changed doctors surgery who referred me to the ENT, my appointment is on Friday I can't wait and feel its gonna be a task just to get to Friday, hopefully there maybe light at the end of the tunnel as at the moment this is ruining my life

Here is my story: I am a 40 year old female I had a dream that I had left tonsil cancer I have had dreams come true before Soni looked at my left tonsil sure enough it was larger than my right and was smooth instead of pitted and also had some fleshyness in the pillar so I found a dentist with a velacope sure enough abnormal cells were detected. I went to a ENT who told me he didn't think velacope a were accurate and that the tonsil was slightly larger but looked like a normal tonsil. I was frantic for I knew something was very wrong. I begged him to take them he brought in another ENT to look at my tonsil and that ENT thought they should come out. I just had surgery three days ago pathology report was a tonsil stone deep in te tonsil with a very rare Deadly bacteria that the only treatment for the bacteria was to remove the organ! I was stunned as was the Ent thank goodness I persisted! Anyone with a enlarged tonsil needs to get to the bottom of why

jameses

So an update on my situation - I went to the ENT specialist who examined me and could see that the tonsil was around 3 times the size of what it should be but nothing that he would be to concerned about, he had a feel of my neck and found nothing wrong he suggested that I should go back to my doctor and get treated with counselling as the tonsil in my mouth shouldn't be causing me the problems it has been for that size so I need to get treated mentally to forget about the feeling. He advised that he wouldn't want to take the tonsil out as the scaring could also effect me with a feeling of something in the mouth. So 5 months down the line i still have a larger tonsil that is still giving me problems and ruining my life but no pain just a really uncomfortable feeling. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and another ENT appointment next week.

Tonsils dont have to be the same size, the issue here is cleary not your tonsil, it is your anxiety. If teh doc said your fine, then ur fine, stop thinking about it and live your life

There is no such thing as a tonsil stone.

There is no such thing as tonsils.

Obama 2016

Hi my name Greg and I'm experiencing the same thing. Who's your physician? Please provide any POC's.

Thank you.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen. I pick tonsil stones out of my mouth AT LEAST once every two weeks!! They absolutely ARE real. Do some freaking research.

Yes there is.

My niece has the same problem. At 12, she has had a swollen tonsil for over a year. She moans and begs for surgery but the doctors tell her not to worry. It's a tonsil stone factory and she hates it.

yes tonsil stones exist, look up 'tonsil stones' in a search engine.

I'm 24 years old have had a swollen uvula and right tonsil inflammation for months and months now and experience the same thing with doctors, telling me it doesn't look bad when it's clearly over 3 times as large as the other one, it constantly feels like I need to swallow something and it distracts me from completing daily tasks, it terrifies me day and night as I suffer from anxiety over it. Noone understands what I'm going through.