Hi, I'm 34 years old and lately I have had problems with itch on my lips. I don’t usually wear any lipstick at all. Usually itching appears during the colder weather, during winter. I tried protecting my lips with protective creams but it didn’t work they would still itch. When I do put some lipstick on the itch becomes even worse and then I have to take the lipstick off or else the itch would get even worse. What could be the cause of this and what should I do to stop it?

The itching of one of your lips or both can be caused by a number of factors. First you said that you are experiencing these symptoms during the winter and cold weather. That could mean that the itch is weather related, in some people lips are very sensitive and they need extra protection and they need to be extra careful when in extreme life conditions like winter. Most people during the winter have chapped lips but itch is less common. You should try protecting your lips with a scarf and spending as less time as possible in the open in winter. That’s the best advice I can give you. As for the protective lipsticks, I can't tell you anything special, there are a number of products available on the market and you should try more of them to find out which suits you the best. You could also ask your pharmacist for advice to narrow the choice, I'm sure that he or she would be more than happy to assist you. You shouldn’t apply any make up or lipsticks while this itching is in progress since it can only irritate the skin more. It is also possible that you are allergic to some substance, something you ate or some medicine you’re taking. If the itching of the lips doesn’t decrease after applying the protective lipstick you should report it to your dermatologist or general practitioner.