Hello, I have periodically quite
itchy skin near the lower calves.

It's rarely if ever during the summer. It usually comes on during
winter or during other cold and dry
parts of the season.

I found that if I don't itch, which
is quite hard because it is a rather burning sensation type of itch. But, I find if I can avoid
itching it goes away after awhile.

But, when I first experienced this I did itch and the skin became slightly red/pink for awhile. Then it went away. It basically only is around the part of my lower that
doesn't have any hair. And, it doesn't occur on my feet.

I wonder is this a form of psoriasis? I hope this isn't a fungus type of infection that comes and goes.

I hope someone has a clue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi! Why do you suspect psoriasis? Does anyone in your family has it? It does run in families.

I have a friend who suffers from psoriasis and believe me I don’t think you have it. Although, there are many forms of psoriasis and the effects can be mild, all psoriasis cause some sort of flaking, red skin lesions covered with silvery scales ie skin grow much faster than normal and form red, scaling patches.

The most common sites for psoriasis are scalp, elbows, knees and joints although any part of the skin may become involved, even genitals.

I have similar problems to yours but it happens on my hands. It shows up in winter time only, especially when I wash something (dishes or cloths or bathroom). My hands become red first, then I get some weird steins, it gets all flaky and then my skin cracks. It is very irritating and it makes me feel 50.
Whenever I decide to go and see dermatologist, this thing disappears.
So, I decided to go and tell my story.

The doc told me, this is so common for winter time and that many women complain about it. She prescribed me an ointment to use when I have an out break and another hand cream to use on regular basis. SO, nothing much and nothing special.

Psoriasis is really debilitating disease….i don’t think you have it…The best way to find out is to visit a dermatologist when this is happening. This is the only way they can realize what it is.

your pharmacist wasn't doing his/her job. petrolatum (petroleum jelly) works well. so does coal tar (distillate) and salicylic acid in petrolatum - will require prescription (any MD). you can even add a steroid.

psoriasis is confirmed by the pin-point red dots on skin beneath the silver scales.

DON'T remove scales. it triggers a flare.

meh....

Patient Self-Care
CPhA

Hi Lori,

It is not a big problem, when you find the causes and try ti avoid them, you will be free from itch. Years ago I got the same problems and it took me 3 years to find the solution, please check my profile, I will not let you down. This is the final solution! No Drugs need to be taken!

Hi Lori,

It is not a big problem, when you find the causes and try to avoid them, you will be free from itch. Years ago I got the same problems and it took me 3 years to find the Final solution, please see below, I will not let you down. This is the final solution! No Drugs need to be taken!

Did you find an answer? I get this problem every winter. It happens when there is a drop in temperature. I'm having problems sleeping at night as i'm itching burning! Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

I have also itching in the foots for 4 yrs. in the summer i do not have but in every winter I have itching specially in the midnight. I contact my doctor he prescribed creams more then 3 times then he send me dermatologist still i have the problem this year is the worst.

I just found out today that there is such a thing as being allergic to cold temperatures...even the type of cold chill you get when you sweat and catch a breeze! It's called Cold Urticaria and Mayo Clinic has info on it, as well as lots of good info on Wikipedia. It sounds like all of you above should read up on it! Most times, it takes your research taken to your doctor to get them going in the right direction!

My husband is having this severe outbreak. Back legs arms tips of feet.

For anyone with this issue. As the cold ensues your vitamin D levels reduce, if your nutritional habits are not up to par. The protective barrier of your skin cells weaken to the point that some thinner skin areas dry and degrade enough that cell death is triggered. This becomes an itch followed by a rash to sever rash, blistering and worse. Usually triggered by lite rubbing such as a sock. The Curel Advanced Ceramide Therapy Lotion will stop the itch and rash in it's tracks if this is your condition. A proper diet is key to the prevention of this condition. At the first signs of the itch apply the lotion to stop an outbreak. As always, consult your doctor regarding any condition. Anti-histamines, anti-itch creams, moisturizers, fungicides, anti-bacterial creams etc will not work on this condition because the problem is internal to the cell. The anti-itch creams are only mildly effective and do nothing to stop blistering and server rash formation. I suffered but no more.