Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

On June 18th, I was mounting my horse and he decided he didnt want me on and bucked me off. I landed full body weight onto my left ankle. After I recovered in the field from the initial pain, I whipped my boot and sock off. Got myself to the urgent care clinic where they offered me no ice, thankfully I elevated it. They xrayed and said they could see no breaks and that I could go home and use the RICE method, I got my own set of crutches) Two days later, the clinic calls me back to tell me that the radiologist had a look and noted two lizfranc fractures in my metatarsal bones (2nd and 4th) and that they had booked me an appt at the fracture clinic for the following week. I got nervous and wondered why I needed to wait that long and what I was supposed to be doing in the meantime?? I called a medical inquiry service where the nurse told me to go to my local emergency department and have them splint it for me. I just had my appt with the fracture clinic today (only 8 days after the accident) and the doc told me i would be in an aircast boot (no weight bearing) for the next three months. I nearly died when he told me that, my summer is screwed and I told him about my planned camping trips in my RV and he said he wouldn't take the chance. I decided I am still going but will be very cautious. He said I didn't need surgery at this point but he would re-x-ray me in three weeks and see how it was healing. I got home and cried for three hours straight.

Can anyone tell me how to make this better and easier?? Is there any chance that I can put weight on it sooner than three months. Any comparable stories out there would help so much.

Loading...

Moe,
On June 29th while on vacation, my husband (Dave) miscalculated the distance between the boat and dock, landing with just one foot on the dock and all his weight on his right foot. He knew instantly that he had done some serious damage to his foot. 45 minutes later we were at the er. They xrayed the foot and couldn't see any breaks although the doctor said it acted like a fracture. They iced it, wrapped it, gave him crutches and Vicadon and sent us home. We we returned home a couple of days later Dave went to our family doctor. He said there was too much swelling to bother with another xray and to wait and come back in 10 days. After a week from the date of injury I insisted that Dave go back in sooner. We are traveling to California from Minnesota on the 20th of July for a business meeting that has been planned for over a year. We had to do everything we could to be there as Dave is in charge of the 4 day conference. So yesterday, he saw our family dr., he xrayed it and said that there were no breaks and wanted to send him to an orthopedist (sp??). Not having had good experience with the local orthopedist, I convinced husband to go to my podiatrist. We saw the podiatrist today. He looked at the xray that was taken yesterday and took one look at my husband's foot and said that we were in for a long recovery. His diagonis: LizFranc's dislocation and fracture of the 2nd metatarsal. Tomorrow he is going to have surgery where they will insert pins and possibly screws to stabalize the foot. He will have to be off of it for 6 weeks. They they will fit him with a walking boot and begin therapy. The podiatrist hopes that after a couple months of therapy he will be somewhat back to normal. He said Dave could wait, some people never have the surgery, but he could plan on pain and possiblity of reinjuring the foot in the future if we waited. I really like this dr and trust him, so we said 'how soon can you do the surgery' Luck for us he was available tomorrow afternoon.

If I were you, I'd do two things. First get yourself a turning leg caddy. We rented on for a week until the one I bought on ebay arrived. The doctor gave us a prescription for it today, so we're hoping that the ins. will help pay for it. But at the least rent one. It made all the difference in the world for Dave in getting around. Second, find a doctor that only works on feet. We went to a podiatrist at a Foot and Ankle clinic. Dave was so glad that I insisted on a podiatrist vs. the orthopedist. I believe it made all the difference in the world. I just wish we would have gone there a week ago. I know this is long but I hope it helps. Good luck!!!
Reply

Loading...

Thanks so much for your advice and lucky for me....this doc is a podiatrist.....so I guess he is right. Are you saying that surgery will be inevidible??
Reply

Loading...

Well, I'm not a doctor, so I wouldn't want to say one way or the other if you need surgery. I would listen to your doctor and maybe ask him about it, but I don't know for sure. In listening to Dave's doctor, we got the impression that it was more a deal with it now or deal with it later situation. We opted for now. It turned out that Dave didn't have any fractures when they got in there and did the surgery, but the lizfranc joint was so loose that it took 3 pins and a screw to stabilize it. (Dave's 6' 1" and 215 lbs, 52 yrs. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.) But the plan at this point is 2 weeks in the splint. Then they'll take that off and remove the stitches from where the screw went in and cast it in a regular hard cast for 4 more weeks, non-weight bearing for the total of 6 weeks. After that, if all is going well, he'll be fitted for a walking boot and begin therapy. After two months of therapy, he should be pretty good. He should be able to wear normal shoes, with orthodics, in October for our son's wedding. The dr. did say that it could be upto a year of being careful. But again every case is so different.
I wish you luck and speedy healing. Joni
Reply

Loading...

:-D

Just got back from seeing my ortho surgeon and he re-xrayed me and said the fracture is healing very nicely (only after one month) and this is exactly what he wants to continue seeing. He will see me again in one month (August 13th) and we re-xray again and if it is still looking good, he may allow partial weight bearing to begin. He said that surgery would not be good and that it doesn't appear severe enough to do a surgery because of the positive healing that is already occurring. He said if I had to have surgery, it would mean opening up my whole foot and fusing the bones back together which he guaranteed me that I would end up with arthritis!!

So, I am just going to continue following his healing regimen to the letter in hopes that in another month, I can start putting some weight on it.....I hope your hubby gets better quickly. My sympathies are with you!!
Reply

Loading...