Hello

I have been reading the Lisfranc Posts and am looking to hear from people currently going through the treatment process and those who have come out on the other side. I twisted my foot on May 3d and had an ORIF yesterday, July 7th. I was originally diagnosed with just a sprain, but knew it was more than that because of the major discoloration and pain I was feeling. I was referred to a podiatrist after 4 other doctors wanted to treat me for a sprained ankle. The podiatrist immediately recognized Lisfranc after just manipulating my foot a bit and the horrible screech I let out. On yesterday I had 5 screws and a plate put into my left foot. I was sent home with Motrin and Vicodin. The pain is not too terribly bad, but I was instructed to take my pain meds immediately when I sense the slightest pain. I am currently non-weight bearing for 30 days, which I am sure will be extended, but since I am in the military (Air Force) the initial down time can be no longer than 30 days.

Just looking for some people to share the experience since with.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about that you're going through this. I am sure that it's frustrating right now, and it's a rare injury so that's all the worse. I have not suffered from this injury but I know someone who has and I know that it can be difficult to go through so I am posting here in support of what you're going through! I hope that you will keep us posted on your path to getting better so keep us informed, okay? Thanks for posting and I'm sure another Lisfranc person will be along soon to talk about this.

Thank you Bluedog for the support, I am staying positive, I am truly blessed to have family around to take care of me while I am basically stuck in bed with my foot in the air, totally non weight bearing. I have a wound check appt on the 14th. I am hoping I will get a cast put on then; right now I just have a lot of bandages wrapped around my foot. I will be sure to let the group know how my appt goes on Tuesday. My surgeon initially told me I will have the screws in for a year, but we will see.

i;m so sorry for what you are going through. I to have had a Lisfranc Fracture and ligament injury in 2005 and I too was misdiagnosed with a sprain. It took 7 months arguing with my Dr. to have an MRI and CT to show what WAS wrong. I had surgery, the most excruciating pain I have ever had and was non weight bearing/wheel chair for 12 weeks, than to a walker, than crutches and than cane which I use to this day. Unfortunately this is the worst foot injury there is. I can climb stairs, but have great difficulty getting down them, I cannot walk without pain, cannot run or jog, am restricted to "sit down" work but as a hair stylist that is nearly impossible? and am in pain 24/7. HOWEVER, remember, I was misdiagnosed for 7 months and sent back to work as a barber/stylist on my feet 10 hours a day. This made a huge impact on my foot. Because of that I live with chronic pain and still use pain meds.

Here are some suggestions: Stay in your cast! No weight bearing for as long as your doctor says..up to 12 weeks or more. take it slow, this will impact the rest of your life, you only have 2 feet. When able, get a good pair of Rocker Bottom Shoes, you'll need them. I wear Drew blaze which I got from but I have a 4 EEEE width too. the rocker bottom does the work of your foot bending which you will not be able to do properly. there re many good rocker bottoms out there for normal widths and wide widths. I wish you all the best in this difficult journey!! Please keep me posted, I would love to hear how you're doing. Janey53

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

P.S. It was my left foot as well!!