Now I find this! I have been wanting someone to talk to about my injury for so long. This is my story...
Eight weeks ago I fell off the side of my outside steps. I thought I was fine until I looked at my foot, and then started feeling the pain. I went by ambulance to the hospital and that got transferred to a larger hospital. I had dislocated all five of the joints, and had a couple fractures. I had emergency surgery that day, and was in the hospital for two days. During surgery, the Dr put five pins in my foot. I was released with gauze on my foot and a wrap...non weight bearing, had to go back in two days. I was told to use a wheelchair. At this point, I didn't think it was a big thing...maybe take a week or two out of my life. Well, when I went back, he explained to me more about the injury, and put me in a cast. He said it would be six weeks and then I could walk again. I found out it isn't that easy though. Well, I bled through the cast and went back and the took it off and gave me a Camboot. I couldn't stand the thing, and didn't wear it, as I was non weight bearing anyway. Luckily, everything was still fine. I think it was just more for protection of the pins. I continued with weekly visits and weekly xrays. Six weeks came, and I was told that it would be two more weeks...another let down. Yet, the Dr still led me to believe that at this point, I would just be able to go back to regular life and walk all I wanted. Speaking of the Dr, this is another problem that I have. I know that Drs have to learn somehow and stuff, but when I have an injury that I now know is really serious, I want to talk to a fully trained Dr, not an intern or resident or whatever. All my appts have been with the resident--and if Im lucky, the real Dr comes in for 2 minutes about every other visit. Its frustrating. This week on Monday, I went in after having bad bad pain all weekend, and found out one of the pins was loose, so they pulled that one, and that I had a staph infection, so was put on antibiotics. That was four days ago. I went in today to get the rest of the pins pulled....again, the resident Dr...anyway, so because of all previous information, I thought that once I had them out I would be able to get up and walk out of there (he did tell me that now that I was going to be weight bearing, I had to use the boot). Was it that easy, NO! Its beeing only like four hours sinse the pins were pulled...I tried putting a LITTLE weight on my foot, and I can't even do a little. It hurt, I am weak, and the damn boot annoys the hell outta me. It hurts to have on...it seems too tight, but I don't know how tight it is supposed to be and I don't know what angle my foot is supposed to be at. It hurts to just all of the sudden have it at a ninety degree angle. I had it on ten minutes and everything just hurt like hell. When I left my appt, he said that I could put weight on the heel, and walk like that, nothing about how I could be weak or not able to do it right away. I feel underinformed. I was looking forward to this day for the last two months, and now I sit here crying because it isn't over. I still can't just get up and walk, and I am still in pain. This injury sucks! I read your guys stories too, and I realize that it isn't over....why do I have to come on the boards to read about this? Should my Dr (or whatever he is) not have told me and explained? I asked about PT, but was told it isn't necessary but if I want to, it can't hurt. Which leads me to another problem...through this whole time with my injury, and being off work, I have lost my job, which totally doesn't seem fair, and have no income. So put the physical stress of my injury along with the financial stress...emotional stress...and social stress...I haven't been able to go out really or do anything except to the Dr and occasionally to WalMart. I was and am so uncoordinated with crutches so have been wheelchair bound. I feel like I have and am missing life going on around me. And with all this, I have to be finding another job...but don't know when I will be able to work...and yeah, now I have no insurance because I have no job, so it just gets better and better. I thought I would be smiling and having a good time today, and instead am sitting here feeling overwhelmed and crying. My sister had a broken leg, and healed faster than me...that just doesn't seem fair...heh. I just want to talk to someone for support though all this. I know I need to put it all into perspective....Im alive and I will be okay...but somedays life just seems so black.

Sorry, new to this and it posted as a new topic...I reposted into the lis franc discussion.