I need an opinion or two about something if anyone could help me out that would be great.  I am a diabetic and have been for almost 17 years.  I used to be able to control my sugars with no problem at all so until I had to go on insulin, I was having no trouble at all.  I just started on insulin about 3 months ago.  I notice that I get low blood sugars more often than I ever did before.  It scares me especially if I am driving and I feel lethargic.  I don't want to get into an accident!  How do other people manage their hypoglycemia when driving?  What do you do to keep from getting such low blood sugars?  Has anyone ever had hypoglycemia while driving and what did you do about it? 

Hello, Guest!  I would say first of all, I am glad you are considering the fact that having uncontrolled hypoglycemia is something that needs to be addressed.  You should really talk to the doctor about your hypoglycemic episodes so that he can adjust your insulin levels.  You are either getting too much or you are not eating enough.  You need to ensure you are eating the amount of carbs you are to be consuming.  This is generally 30-45 grams of carbs at breakfast, 45-60 grams at lunch and at dinner and 15 grams for snacks.  Are you getting approximately those amounts in your daily meal plan?  Document your meals for a few days so you have something to show the doctor when you meet with him.

If you are feeling hypoglycemic, you need to eat a carbohydrate to get your blood sugar up again.  You should carry a candy bar, or some quick energy to have on hand at all times. 

Is there anyone who would care to share their story about having hypoglycemic episodes frequently and what you did about it?