Hi everybody! Congrats on your decision to quit somking ( if that is indeed what you have decided to do).I usually don't join these forums, but I felt really connected to some of these stories and it seems like a good place to talk to other people about what I am going through.

I am a 26 year old female, and I am in college. I have been smoking for about a year and three months now-- nonstop. I started out smoking with one of my friends, whom has been smoking for years and is 22. I had never really been introduced to it before. I mean, I tried it, but I never knew that you could become totally dependant on it. I am here to tell you that you can. I slowly started to become addicted to the feelings that smoking gave me. I was depressed my whole life and had bad anxiety and PTSD from years of abuse and it supressed alot of the memories I did not want to recall. I started smoking and found myself laughing again and feeling like nothing really mattered. I wanted to isolate myself and watch tv stoned all day and laugh and not deal with anything. That was the problem. I would only become friends with people who smoked or attend activities in which I could come stoned. I could only go to the movies baked. I only wanted to hang out in bars baked. All of the sudden, I needed to be stoned to do ANYTHING. Of course, I started to make my own connections. I could walk into a bar and pick up a bag of weed in an hour. I had a dealer at work who would come with bags every payday. On my days off, it was WAKE N BAKE. I couldn't wait to get home from work so I could smoke again. I would smoke until bedtime. 5, 6 bowls a day. I looked at work like an aggrivation because it got in the way of my smoking. Sometimes I would leave early just to smoke and 'forget about my problems'. My dealer got fired and we lost touch, but my best friend got involved with someone who smoked heavily, and they would deliver to me weekly. If I didn't have money, they would give it to me.

It's been two weeks now. ONLY TWO WEEKS! I decided I needed to quit for a few reasons. I was hurting people I love. When I did not have weed, I would be so irritable and angry and say the most awful things to them. I thought I could not sleep without smoking. I thought I needed to smoke to eat food. Everything was so much better when I was stoned. I decided that that's not the way to live and that I was going broke quickly. My bills were piling up and I did not care as long as I had weed. ( Weed lasts so much longer than any other vice!) I started to feel distant and disconnected from everyone in my life. I am an emotional person and the weed took out every emotion from my brain. I didn't know if I liked that after awhile. I became a robot. My judgement was so messed up. My feelings were not genuine. I said what I thought I should but felt NOTHING. I was so paranoid at work, I was so unstable when I couldn't smoke. I decided that I could just get on anti-depressants and some xanax which equals the cost of weed-- which is what I did.

It's hard. People that don't smoke weed daily or never have do not understand. They think it is in our heads since it's not as hardcore as heroin, crack, or cocaine. The truth is that weed REALLY HELPS people with depression and anxiety disorders. I have tried coke on a number of occasions-- it just isn't my thing. Since I am naturally anxious, it made me even worse. I would just sit in the bed and stare at the ceiling and stare at it. I wanted to be alone. Weed just made me happy. Ecstasy never did anything for me. A little tingling--some warmth-- nothing like weed. Weed-- that was what I was becoming. Weed-- it's what I still remain. Please do not come on here to say that weed is not addictive. It changes your brain chemicals and is like any other habit-- hard to break and unhealthy and ADDICTIVE.

I think people who are likely to become 'addicted' to weed are already depressed and anxious over something, or somethings.

I think about weed everyday. Every little thing that does not go right triggers a thought in my head-- if I only had some weed. I am tired all the time. I'm not hungry. I get full after a few bites. I have been drinking to take the place of the weed which helps but is becoming a problem now. (just ask the police!) I'm taking my medication but it's nothing like inhaling some marijuana. I'm smoking cigs to try to fool myself. I've convinced myself that it relaxes me, but I don't want another bad habit. I have panic attacks-- severe-- and I still remain paranoid and cloudy and disconnected. I have back pain and get nauseous alot. Sometimes I chew food just because I need to. I have no desire to. I resent my life and everything about it. I am angry. I get set off at the smallest things-- I have had a few road rage incidents that would not make my parents proud. Everything feels like it's so overwhelming. I think really bad things about people that have done nothing to me, really. I take out my anger on the people I love-- still. I'll pop any pill I find still. I'm not sure I am strong enough to get through this.

I know my treatment is in the early stages. My best friend has decided to quit also, which is good.. but her boyfriend is pushing to get back on it and I am tempted myself. I just wanted to talk to others and let them know they are not alone. I also need some support here since I feel fragile. Everywhere I go, people are smoking. I see the slit eyes on others when I am driving and I think, they are so lucky to be stoned. I miss smoking. I sometimes think if I can just puff one time, everything will be fixed. Then I have another thought-- do I want to go through this again? I have come so far. But it's so hard. Everything seems like an uphill battle. But then again, I probably wouldn't have that uphill option if I had kept smoking.

Please-- any feedback or advice is welcomed. Sorry this is so long- it feels goot to get this out. I wish everyone luck in their recovery.

I HAVE SMOKED HEAVILY FOR ABOUT 12 YEARS!!!! AND NOW I HAVE TO STOP!(FOR COURT BS) ANYWAY ITS ABOUT TIME TO STOP. AT TIMES I WAS SMOKING AN 3.5-5 GRAMS A DAY! WHICH COSTS 50-70$$$ A LOT OF CASH GOING INTO MY LUNGS!!!! JUST TO DEAL WITH MY PROBLEMS AND INNER ANGER ISSUES,DEPRESSION FROM DIVORCE, ETC... 8-| I HAVE WEENED MYSELF DOWN TO NO MORE THAN A GRAM PER DAY(THIS IS GOOD ASS BUD THOUGH, SO THE THC LEVELS ARE VERY HIGH) NOW THAT THE COURT SYSTEM IS TESTING ME, SINCE I AM ON PROBATION NOW FOR GETTING PULED OVER WITH 1 f*****g JOINT ON ME!!!(PLEASE POLICE GO AFTER THE REAL CRIMINALS!!! POT HASNT KILLED AS MANY PEOPLE AS OTHER STUFF LIKE DRUNK DRIVING!! ANYWAY, THE LAST TIME I QUIT WHEN I WENT THRU MY DIVORCE, I USED DRINKING AS MY VICE, AND GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT AND COKE CONNECTIONS AT THE BAR SCENES!!!(I SEEM TO GET INTO TROUBLE WHEREVER I'M AT) SO I DRANK AND DID COCAINE FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS WHILE BEING WEED FREE IN THE PAST 12 YEARS, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, I HAVE JUST BEENN SMOKIN THE BEST WEED YOU COULD IMAGINE! MAYBE IF I MOVED TO CALI AN GET MEDICINAL MARIJUANA! CUZ THE sh*t SHOULD BE LEGAL ANYWAY FOR PEOPLE THAT NEED IT!
THIS IS MY FIRST NIGHT WITHOUT SMOKING BEFORE BED, BUT I HAVE VALIUMS,XANEX, AND TRAZADONE PILLS TO TAKE, BUT DOUBT THAT THEY WILL PUT ME TO SLEEP,,,BTW I TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH THE POST BEFORE MINE FROM THE GIRL THAT HASNT SMOKED FOR 3 WEEKS, HOPE TO BE WHERE YOU ARE, 3 WEEKS FROM NOW!! I NEED HELP THOUGH, IF ANY BODY WANTS TO EMAIL ME WITH SUGGESTIONS OR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT, OR WHATEVER MY EMAIL IS: _[removed]_ THANKS FOR ANY HELP.I DONT CHECK THIS WEBSITE MUCH, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MIGHT HELP ME QUIT FOR GOOD OR IF YOU JUST WANT TO TALK TO A 27 YR OLD GUY THATS QUITTING WEED FOR GOOD THEN JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL, OR EVEN CALL(480-274-3231) I'D LOVE TO TALK TO ANYONE THAT MIGHT HELP OR NEED HELP!!!! I DO KNOW A LOT ABOUT MEDICATIONS TOO, IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS...MY NAME IS CURTIS, I AM 27 YRS. OLD SORRY MY MSG IS SO DAMN LONG, BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP MY MIND OFF OF SMOKING WEED, ITS EASY FOR ME TO GET, IT'S UP TO MY WILL-POWER NOW!!! THANKS FOR ANY HHHEELLLLPPPPP!!!! "ADDICTS ARE PEOPLE TOO" THEY JUST HAVE A DISEASE. I JUST MADE THAT UP! HA!!

Well i just thought i would said congrats for trying to quit smoking weed but VALIUMS,XANEX, AND TRAZADONE PILLS geez your far better off smoking weed, it grows from the earth its natural i dont understand why any doctor would prescribe and "addict" this c**p to stop smoking weed...its worse than the drug your trying to stop taking :S...actually do you even know whats in those pills? I know i dont but i bet its no good for ya...heck in 5 years they will gather enough evidence from poor people they convinced to take this c**p to discontinue its use....hmmm valium addict or pot??? I'll take the pot thanks!!!

I have to agree with the last post as far as the "PILLS" the doctors give you. They have way worse side effects than weed by far...I have had my share of addictions problems in my life and weed is cotrollable! I have been prescribed Prozac, Melleril, and Wellbutrin in the past and the only thing that I can say about those is STAY AWAY FROM THEM!! They cause blackouts, rage, violence, severe weight gain (I went from 120 to 275 in 6 mo. and slept 20 hrs a day) and other side effects. Doctors are not sure of all of the effects of these meds and only some of them work some of the time. I have even self medicated with xanax, coke, meth, and alcohol, all of which I have been clean from for over 7 years (not without the occasional relapse, of course, but no relapse in 3 years, yeah 4 me...lol), and all I have home detoxed from (for anyone who has done this knows just how freakin hard that is!!). I still smoke cigs and weed from time to time, now I am trying to quit cigs, with the help of chantix(cuz I can't do this one by myself, I've tried 5 times and even chantix has side effects...for me it is nausea and bad nightmares), but I can say it is working and weed does help a bit with the nausea. Cigs, the pills, and alcohol are legall yet way more harmful. Make your own decisions, but listen to other's experiences.

HEy just throwin in my 2 cents i've been smoking weed daily (hourly) for about 5 years now.i can not blaze before work with no problems and at work i dotn think about smoking it .but once i get home its staight to the bong pack a hoot.i never get cravings this is my 2nd day not smoking and i want to blaze only for the reason of eating i too find i am not hungry unless high.i think bongs is the problem they are like super hits that dont last that long. FORGET THE PILLS SMOKE THE WEED

I hope you're still here to read this. But I went through a similar experience to yours, although on a much much smaller scale. Like you, I began to think that everything would be so much better with weed, and that I had to have it before I sleep, eat, etc.. I also noticed that I lost much of my other interests that I had before, and my primary focus was on getting high, and my routine activities while smoking(surfing web for random videos, porn, music). So basically, the only thing that made my happy was weed. And combined with the fact that I feel that I need weed before I do anything, it's not surprising that without the weed, I wouldn't be able to function anymore. I actually went back to smoking occaisionally, but kept myself from having those thought patterns, and I hardly get any marijuana withdrawals anymore. When weed becomes the only thing that can activate the reward centers of your brain, you're going to be in a world of hurt when you don't have it anymore. But if you have plenty of other things that can activate it, you'll feel fine without the weed. One thing that I found to be really helpful in dealing with the withdrawals was running and exercising. Exercising greatly activates the reward centers in the brain, hence the common term "runners high". It gave me appetite and it helped me relax and be able to sleep. I started to regain interest in many of the things I was interested in before. Try finding other things that can make you happy, perhaps a new hobby or activity so that you don't feel like weed is the only thing that can accomplish that.

the only way i overcame my addiction to pot was with help from the Holy Spirit, plain and simple. you will try to fill yourself up with something, to no avail, be it money, sex, perfection, material possessions, but the only strong hold that remains in the end is God, the Rock Eternal.

the physical symptoms will persist, there are consequences for non-stop smoking--God will pull you through and help resist the temptations. they will go away after about 2 weeks, depending on hope well you take care of yourself and excersize. get the blood flowing and the heart pumping by getting on a stationary bike, or non-stationary. hope this helps.

im swiss my english isnt so perfect, so plz bear with me while i try to explain my contribution. im a 25 year old athletic female, i started smoking pot about 8 months ago. i went from a joint a week, to almost every day, to all day every day. i am an mba student, so i had responsibilities and i guess i sort of just let it slide . amotivational syndrome kicked in, and i ended up dropping out for a few terms.
during my smoking months:
many times after smoking pot for a week or two weeks, i would take a day break and wouldnt feel any serious withdrawl symptoms except for irritibility. and shortness of breath. I did continue running (5k a day, to about 5 k a week. as a marathon runner, this number is considered low. ) .I went away on holidays for 2 weeks, i was fine. i guess it was the sea and sun that helped. but when i would come back, of course i would have to carry onto normal life. since i was out of school, i decided i would take the time to get myself together, keep running, and just sort of whip myself back together.

it didnt happen so fast unfortunately. i continued to smoke, and next thing iknow 6 months go by. seriously, the time went by so fast. i was smoking joints in the morning, noon, afternoon, evening, and night. just rediculous amounts. also eating a lot lol. i gained some weight... an then cut cold turkey again.

cutting cold turkey after 8 months; i can barely last a few days, i picked up some pot today, smoked half a joint, and it feels awful.
my withdrawl symptoms during the first week , severe night sweats, insomnia, irritibility, paranoia (i thought i was developing a type of skin cancer, and a liver disease. This is because i had a reaction from anxiety and my lip swelled up, the doctor prescribed an anti tumor tablet but mild mild dosage. after googling all over the net, ive realized its my anxiety and paranoia taking over). It feels so horrible but i try to tell yself the sooner i quit it all, the sooner i will recover! i run everyday for20-30 mins and hang in the sauna for a bit. the sweating helps enormously! if u can get a steam bath, or take a bath and sweat until u pick up a bit of breathing, then shower off cold water, it helps a lot. the northern europeans do this for skin detox, etc. (check it on on the net, they have saunas then ice rooms like freezers. cool stuff here in switzerland and north eu :p) anyway, im looking forward to quitting , slowing down to a joint a week, then to nothing. im not sure what will happen, but i will be back to post maybe.

hope this helps.

oh yeah, i became so irritable. i live right in the center of my city, and the swiss laws prohibit loud noise after 10 pm. except fot the center of course....and these girls were discussing and arguing in the street. th were drunk, and their loud voices projected and carried up to the apartments. since the street as sort of silent , (it was 2 am), it was easy to hear them. they kept arguing tho and they jut wouldnt conclude their debating. so i, irritated, sweaty, and eager for shut eye...i got up and yelled out my window if they could kindly have some respect for the neighbors and shut the ....... up. i was so full of rage. lol.

now that i think about it, its quite scary. i have episodes where i rage. anyway, getting on the treadmill helps with that, it helps with alertness, etc. lots of water, healthy fruits increases ease astronomically.

try to run , pilates, or yoga! any excercise will help, even a walk. force yourself to go.

helo people...
dis is my first attempt to quit cannabis ..i havnt been smoking since long like most of d stoners out dre.i m 21 and i piked up cannabis at 19..since 2 yrs i havnt taken an hrs brk to get sober.being high is just too much.i did some low grade drugs like inhaling toluene for like 1 yr and 1's shrOOMS.quitting any of dese was never a problem.dis is what i used to think.but since last 1 month i started having f****g bad trips.no1 was wid me.every frnd i had wid me was dre to use me till i die.
i came by this forum and i was so influenced dat i just broke off from every1 i have ever known accept my family obviously.
today is my 7TH day without weed and 2nd day without a cigarette.
m pretty much ok accept having punched d wall twice since morning .
i actually dont know wot can be the effects of quitting but i trusted u guys and ur experiences and took dis step.
had nitemares for d 1st two nites and den last nite dreamt of my EX WID MY EX BEST FRND.I STARTED SMOKING COZ OF DIS.TO STAY HAPPY...TO BE AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD.TO BE DIFFERENT FROM ODRS.BUT I M HAVING REALLY BAD TRIPS DESE DAYS.I HAVE ATTEMPTED SUICIDE TWICE WEN HIGH ON TOLUENE BUT JUST DINT.DONT REMEMBER MUCH ABT DAT.just wanted to ask that IF I QUIT CANNABIS NOW,WILL I START FEELING LOW AGAIN???? BECAUSE OF WHICH I STARTED SMOKING 2 YEARS BACK.I HOPE DIS DSNT HAPPEN..COZ DEN I WONT HAVE ANYWRE TO GO.WILL BE LOW WEN HIGH AND SAME OTHERWISE...
PLZ SOME1 DO REPLY
THANX AND ALL D BEST GUYS.

Hi i am a 18 year old male let me give you some backround about myself before i begin.  The earliest signs of anxiety for me was 2 years old when i came running down the stairs on christmas morning and i was shaking and twitching with excitment fear and anxiety. for the most part my anxiety has been flare ups basically random occurrences that would trigger it.  NOW TO THE WEED PART. So, i started smoking earb the begging of senior year.  And basically ever since i started it's been everyday and about a gram or 2 give or take.  Now recently i quite smoking and drinking coffee(im on day 4). The reason i choose to quite is because one morning i woke up with a severe anxiety atack and usually they subside throughought the morniing and gradually decrease untill i feel fine at about 12 oclock.  However, ever since quiting weed i can't eat nearly as much as i used to about half.  I can't sleep im always tossing and turning.  I find myself randomly breaking out crying for no reason.  and also the anxiety is almost a constant now.  Feels like my hearts beating out of my chest and stomach knots along with every time i try to eat i have to burp because well i honastly don't know why but every bite i literally have to do a little gurgalley burb.  i also have some mental issues going on.  I feel disconected, not myself i find myself spacing out and forget things. i have loss of direction.  I feel like im going insane and dieing at the same time.  Am i crazy or is this just the early signs of a heavy marijuana smokers withdrawl? Thank you

been smoking for about 10 years. im 26, started at 16 obviously. at first my intake was not every day. it was gradual, then as the years went on my tolerance went up, and my intake turned into everyday usage. before tolerance builds up, quitting isnt as harsh as it is for me now. about a year ago i was able to quit for about three months before college started. how i was able to pull it off, was exercise. that was when i really got into working out. and i wasnt heavy into working out as i am now so the relieving effects of it arent as vivid as they use to be. but after school ended i started smoking again. very small amounts every couple days or so. then of course it went back to everyday. i dont know what your status on it is now, but if your situation is still the same, then i will share what i am going through. dont expect to sleep. its a complete waste of energy to just lay in bed and wait to fall asleep. i've tried sleepy time tea(useless) benadryl(works for a day or two, then becomes useless) people say to try meditation techniques, but when your in withdrawl, relaxation is almost impossible to attain. depression sets in and your emotions flare up. i start to feel upset that i cant sleep. you may have some people tell you that it only takes a week or two to get over the hump, but dont be fooled by other peoples' claims that it will apply to you for certain. you have to be realistic enough to know that success will be out of reach for a while. sure you can restrain from smoking, and that part gets easier, but when you havent slept for more than 3 consecutive days, you start to doubt your decision to quit. the debates can go on forever as to whether its worth more to quit and screw up your health for as long as a month or more, or just keep smoking. weed hasnt caused any physical problems for me, but i want to quit cause i want to eliminate the need for it. it sucks having to depend on something such as a drug. it controls you and it makes you feel controlled. personally i dont like feeling completely dominated by a freaking plant. i love it, dont get me wrong. but i want to be able to control what i want and what i need. My appetite did change as well. instead of being able to eat anything in sight, my intake of food became more structured, to eating when im hungry(real hunger-not munchies). i understand that increased heartrate you mentioned. i get it when i start to feel tired, but a split second later i dont feel tired. then i get crazy. i start beating the c**p out of my pillows and i just want to breakdown. i feel like dying too. but its just the body in mass confusion. all of a sudden you've decided to deprive it of something it began to enjoy A LOT. so it gets pissed off at you. we are machines with set patterns and if we screw around with it enough, the body stops functioning properly. you will find yourself trying to figure out what you arent properly. if your a coffee drinker, are you drinking too much? did you eat something that may have caused you to stay awake? are you overly stimulated by some movie you just watched?
me myself i have been doing that. before i workout, i take a pre-workout supplement, which contains high amounts of caffeine. so i figured that was a factor, or at least if i backed off on it for a day or so, i may start to feel more fatigued. then i start to thrive on the illusion that i may have figured it out. then i find out im wrong. its just the pot withdrawl.
as i sit here on my computer i feel almost dead. so tired, yet so awake. you arent crazy. you must realize that pot isnt any different than any other drug, even though the withdrawl symptoms arent nearly as severe as the more hardcore stuff like heroine or coke, etc. but it can become addictive and your body and mind will react negatively once you decide to rid yourself of it. i was naive to think this time that it would take only a week . for me my intake was almost tripled in comparison to what it used to be. the crappy reality of it is, if you decide to just go back to smoking, you will enjoy it, but you will inevitably be brought back to square one once you decide to quit again. it blows i know. im going through it as we speak. but what your going through is more common that you think. you arent alone and it isnt impossible. its just a pain in the ass(emphasis on that whole sentence). i found after a few successful days of just being able to keep away from weed, my ego kicked in and said, you arent starting smoking again, i dont care how much sleep you lose. there is help and harm in smoking weed, and there is help and harm in quitting. so knowing the consequences of each decision can be a useful step. write me back if your situation is still the same. best of luck to you.

I'm a 17 year old student/ musician. And I've been smoking cannabis for about two years now, and it's made me who I am.

I stared off as a shy lad who just drunk alcohol and smoked cigs. I was fresh out of school and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Then one day a friend asked me if I waned to get high, I didn't think much of it and just did it.
And from that fist time I knew that this was the drug for me, it changed my life completely (for the better). Since then I've dabbled with other things but nothing has made me as happy as weed did, I've stopped drinking because cannabis is much healthier and I've refused many other drugs just because they are pointless in comparison to cannabis.
It has benefited me in many other ways too, I've progressed at college more than expected. I've become more motivated to learn, I now have a thrust for knowledge. I'm no longer shy. I've found that I have musical talent and many other little things that benefit my in a big way.

But for the past few months I've smoked everyday and I can't really bring myself to stop. I become angry at the smallest things, I'm never truly happy until I'm alone. My friends show less interest in me and life just simply isn't as good when I'm sober.
I've had brakes from weed in the past, but I was always miserable and unmotivated. I was just my old self.

To get rind of cannabis from my life would stop me from being myself.

So with a lot of thought I came up with this conclusion.
I feel that it's better to find the right balance between getting high and staying sober rather that stopping altogether. Because if cannabis has done you as much good as it has done me, then it would ruin your life to to just simply, stop.
I've told myself that I may have nothing to do right now other than smoke weed (because of holidays, etc.), but I'm young and I have my whole life ahead of me and I'm sure I'll find many things to do in the future (such as a job or travelling).

I hope my story and thoughts help others :)

So you quit smoking weed, and pick up a drinking habit, cigarette addiction, and start to pop pills. Hmmm yah makes sense ... It's called moderation

I thought I was the only person with these side affects! I'm a 15 year old who's been smokin for 4 years consistantly. I want to try to quit but it's really hard. Everywhere I go there's weed. Everyone I hang out with smokes. I'm tired of living a high life. I want to quit but don't know if I could do it. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use