Hello, It has been so helpful to read all your posts. I'd like to share me experience, so hopefully what I have to say will help someone else, as well as me for writing it! I have smoked pot for the past 10 years, usually every day, although there have been times when I didn't do it as much. I am 30, and have spent the last 4 years either with a heavy roommate/pot smoker or by myself in grad school (with the weed flowing through me like water). 2 years ago, I went through a hard breakup and at the same time took a ten day vacation with my dad. I was smoking everyday before I left, and about the 3rd day of the trip, I started waking up very early in the morning with intense discontent, feeling anxious and alone even though my dad was in the next bed over in the hotel room. I didn't know I was going through marijuana withdrawal, because I had quit before (but it was only after 2 years of smoking the first time) and I had not felt withdrawals before. So, I attributed the feelings to the heartbreak I was feeling over the girl. Around the 7th-8th day I began to feel better and slept better (I was in Las Vegas and drinking pretty heavily as well) and so I never really made the association with marijuana withdrawal. When I got back home, I fell back into smoking, although it was not as heavy. I was feeling depressed and I made a conscious choice not to medicate myself into feeling better. So, I wouldn't smoke until I felt better. Well, what happened is that I would have a horrible cycle of withdrawal (stomach pain, loss of appetite, insomnia, anxiety/depression) that would subside as I would not smoke, and then start all over again when I would. This continued for eight months as I started seeing a therapist about my emotional distress. The cycle was continuing and I was considering going on antidepressants. I didn't want conflicting mood regulators in my body so I decided to quit smoking in order to prepare myself for other medication. During the six weeks that followed, I noticed the pain going away, and I no longer felt the need for prescription meds. As I felt better (not really understanding what I had been through, I though it was all emotional) I started smoking again. This time, my body wasn't dependant, and I was able to handle the transition back in to marijuana-land. I had no idea the effect it was having on my body, however. About 20 days ago, I had to say goodbye to my awesome girlfriend as she went away for the summer. I had spent 8 days with her, and I didn't smoke during that time, and as soon as I left her, I started feeling intense anxiety about being apart from her. I didn't realize that while the feelings of missing her were real, they were feeding the negative thought machine of marijuana withdrawal. I started smoking again with my friends, and the feelings didn't go away. I would smoke every 2 days, and once again, I was unwittingly sending my body through hell by choice. 7 days ago, I decided that I needed to quit once and for all. I was not emotionally healthy, and it was taking a tax on my long distance relationship. I was so dependant on my girlfriend to make me happy, and I decided I needed to get healthy. I was awake in the middle of the night, and on a whim, got up and flushed my entire stash of weed. It was so damned liberating to watch the marijuana spiral down the porcelain drain. I decided to take a vacation with my brother's family, and I have spent the last week away from all my weed associations and paraphernalia. It has been rough, and I have spent as much time as I could afford reading posts on this forum, doing research about withdrawal and trying to understand what was happening in my body. The intense anxiety has subsided, and now I am left with sleeplessness, crazy dreams, mild depression, and I am started to feel a headache on the right side of my head. I haven't had vivid dreams in years, and I'm finding them a little unsettling. I don't sleep much, and when I do it is only for a couple of hours at a time. The negative thoughts are starting to go away, and I'm beginning to see life through a new set of eyes. The world is starting to seem more optimistic, and time is passing more quickly for me. It's only been seven days of soberiety, although I really didn't smoke too much in the ten days before that. I guess I'll conclude with the following: The symptoms you are feeling are quite natural and they will go away. Already I'm handling the anxiety better, my mood is lifting, and I'm feeling better now that I have for the past 20 days. Life is starting to seem good again, and I no longer feel trapped in this bubble of anxiety. It WILL get better. My appetite has increased, and I expect that I will soon find the slumber I'm so eagerly awaiting. I wish you all luck. And a little luck for myself as well. Best! Jester

hey jester that was like a year ago , how are feeling now, is your aniexty gone?

Hi jimmyp23, I am not sure if the person is coming back but I'd like to hear too. Are you trying to quit smoking marijuana now too? Are you having difficulty with it or are you just seeking out people to help support?

nope, i just like hearing stories. i was way back, but i quit that for good.
what is your story?

Good to hear that you quit! How long have you been clean?

A couple of people who were very close to me actually smoked so much that they developed some serious anxiety problems, and it didn't go well for them because they sort of fed off each other and got worse. It took them about two years to totally kick the habit. I've always been clean and only tried it once. I hated it!!

you mean kick the habit of smoking weed or beat the aniexty? how long did there aniexty last?

Well, I guess I mean both smoking weed and anxiety. I don't know how long it lasts but I think it's different for different people.

For my friends, they quit pot I think May of 08 and they weren't able to get over the symptoms of it all until maybe August. I think that's the last panic attack that one of them had and ever since they've been just great. Totally back to normal, I think.

so your look at about 3 months or soo

Exactly. They were pretty heavy users though, wake-n-bake and all that, so it was pretty intense. What about you? When did you quit and when did your anxiety subside?

im actually on 6 weeks right now, i was pretty bad from weeks 2 to 4, but the last 2 weeks have been pretty good, the only thing that lingers is the aniexty, and just a general worry about certian things. it does not help that I have been working nights for the last month. so my sleep has been all messed up. but i do feel it getting better, I just wanna know when it will become 100% normal agian you know.

I totally, totally get that. I bet that it's pretty frustrating right now. You have to realize that your brain has a major adjustment period and that a lot of people who are addicted set a point at 90 days out from when they quit to celebrate being totally sober because you're at your greatest risk of relapsing at that point. Keep posting here, okay? I'm here to help support you with this :)

yea it is . The fact is I have no cravings to do it agian , im glad that I am off it. The problem is just the fact that the mild anxiety, It is nt that bad that it completely bothers me, it is just that it still there and kind of lingers. the main question I would like to be answered is this something that will be around for ever or will it disapear, I hear it takes 3 months for a full rebound. And as for people that have anxiety before or underlaying . I really dont think this is my case. I never have had any problem with anxiety before or durning my days of pot smoking. just when i stop. And I am sure that working 12 hour night shift has been slowing the recovery part down( being tired ,from improper rest-5 hours one day and like 16 hours another day, now I am back to my regular days shifts). i am on day 42. seems like its a long time and I should have recovered by now, or is it?

Well like I said, I think that 3 months is really the limit, and you're only a little over a month in. I know it's probably seeming like a long time but you know that little feeling you have that says you should recover by now? That's also anxiety! So I think that so long as you recognize that it's anxiety, I think it'll be easier for you to get over it. Does that make sense?

yea it does, thanks for the help. its kinda weird becasue i feel like the low grade aniexty that i have was not there about 2 weeks ago, even though 2 weeks ago and even 4 weeks ago my symptoms was a lot worse. i guess it is a long process, but the big problem that i have to over come is the question i ask my self 6 times a day which is is this something that will be around for ever? even though I smoked weed everyday they were just little joints almost just enough just to get me high, it seems like it wouldnt be enough to make me go through withdrawls or would it?

anything else you can add bluedog? havent heard from you in a few days?