I have a sister who keeps complaining about her pain. Lately she said it feels as crushing pain that she feels in her shoulder. I wonder what it could be so I beg for any answer. Should I be worried about her and told her to visit her doctor, or that will pass. Can you tell me anything about pain in the shoulder, and what if that becomes strong crushing pain?

Shoulder pain, as your sister is supposed to feel, involves any pain in or around the shoulder joint. You should be informed and know the shoulder is the most mobile joint in the human body, which includes four tendons. The purpose of a tendon is to hold muscle to bone, and to stabilize the upper arm bone to the shoulder socket. It should also allow a wide range of motion in the shoulder. Any swelling, inflammation, tearing, or bony changes around these tendons, usually cause pain. That is why you should understand your sister; because problem is usually occur when a person tries to move the arm above the head, behind the back, or straight out in front. The tendons pass underneath a rigid bony arch in the shoulder, so the most common cause of shoulder pain is when the tendons become trapped under this arch. The compressed tendons become inflamed or damaged, so it occurs as a condition called rotator cuff tendinitis. You need to know that shoulder pain can also be due to arthritis, or bursitis. However, I have to say person who feel sudden pressure or crushing pain in the shoulder, should immediately visit the doctor. This is especially if that crushing pain extends from the chest, jaw, or neck, or occurs with shortness of breath, dizziness or sweating. Very sudden shoulder pain can be occasionally, a sign of a heart attack so I would recommend her doctors’ check up.