Hi, I am 45 years old and I have a son who is very interested in running. His 15 years old and he told me last week that he wants to train running. He watched some movie about runners and from that moment he is talking only about running. I thought he would be interested about sprints but it seems that he would like to try some longer distances. Please give me some advice what is the best for him?

Hi, as you have told that your son is not interesting in sprints I may suggest you middle distance running. It means tracks between 400 meters and 3000 kilometers. As he is just beginner it would be better to chose shorter tracks like 800 meters. You would take care about his nutrition as he would need plenty of energy. Increase his carbon hydrate intake and be sure that he is taking enough water. As he is still very young make sure that his running shoes are good and don’t let him exhaust his body with heavy trainings.