my gyn has suggested the mirena. I have been having problems with my period for the last 18 months. They have been erratic. Will have a period it stops, then week later get another that last 12 days, or go for a few months without one, then flood heavily. now for the last 3 months, ive either had 2 long periods - 12 - 16 days or nearly every day some form of spotting. even after sex i get bleeding. plus i have been having a lot of back pain, mainly on one side. i have been researching the mirena on the internet and i do not like what i am reading about it. i have an appointment to see another doctor and get their opinion because of what ive seen here on the internet. im just after any input at all about the mirena. i do not need it for birth control, my tubes are tied and im 47.

Hi:
Unfortunately, you will find concerns with any type of chemical BC, despite the benefits. The risks and concerns will probably been similar for all of them. Have you considered thermal ablation? If you don't have info, consult your doctor. This is another solution to your problem. It is an out-patient procedure, so it is less traumatic on your daily life than other procedures/surgeries. Check with your doctor. Let me know what you've decided to do if you do not want to continue with the BC pills. I'd like to know what you decide and how you are doing. Please let me know.