hello i am 19, i had my period on oct17 i missed my period last month i have been havin abdonal pain cravin certain foods ect.i took 2 pregnacy test both neg.so could i be pregnant or what im very comfused

Dear Pearl

You don't give much information about your cycle length or sexual activity  or when the HPTs were taken!

However, assuming a regular 28-day cycle, you could have ovulated 31st Oct. Your fertile days would then have possibly been 26th to 31st Oct. Implantation of a fertilised egg could then have taken place 9th Nov (+/- 3 days). An HPT could be taken 15th Nov when there is an 80% chance of a true positive result. Later results are more likely to be accurate.

If your cycle is longer, or if you just ovulated late, then the dates advance. A blood test would be more reliable. HPT false-negatives are common, particularly early on.

Hope this helps as a start.

i had my period for seven days that mean i should have had it august the 20 or 24 an i didn't an I've been cramping an some common signs of bein pregnant i tooka pregnancy test today an one a Week ago both negative wat do you think

Dear Pearl

I'm now confused because you have introduced the month of August! Did you mean November?

1. Your last period started 17th Oct
    • If your next period was expected 20th November
      1. your cycle would be 34 days
      2. the following period would be expected 24th Dec
    • If your next period was expected 24th November
      1. your cycle would be 38 days
      2. the following period would be expected 1st Jan
    • I think you may be miscounting.
      • A period is counted from the first day of one period bleed to the first day of the next period bleed.
      • The length of the period flow is not counted.
  2. Nevertheless, you say you took a test 2nd & 9th Dec
    • the results were both negative
    • if they were taken correctly, they are likely to be correct
    • they only state the fact that you had not become pregnant by about the last week of November
    • You could have become pregnant since then.
  3. If (with a 28-day cycle) your period was expected 14th Nov, but it just didn't happen (because you didn't ovulate 31st Oct)
    • You would expect to have ovulated 28th Nov
    • Your fertile days would have been 23rd to 28th Nov
    • Your period would be expected 12th Dec (in a couple of days time)
  4. The critical questions are:
    1. What day did your period start in September?
    2. On what days did you have sex from 26th October to date?
    3. Did you use any form of contraception?

I hope this helps. I wait to hear from you

im sorry i meant november now i knw me n my partner have been haven unprotected sex in tha month of october an november i just knw i missed my period last month an im worried in September i had my period on 15 i don't if the babe in my uterus or what

im also tryna figure out how many weeks i am or if im pregnant im havin signs bt i just wanna know is it in my uterus what Im so worried because been Tryna get pregnant for so long and if i don't know when I've ovulated or when i have conceived or if the babe has been fertilized or is it in my uterus Ima afraid i will loose it an that's what scary's me the most

Dear Pearl

Periods starting 15th Sep & 17th Oct indicate a 32-day cycle. Did your previous period started 14th Aug? That being so, your next period would have been expected 18th Nov. That having long passed, a pregnancy test relating to that cycle is likely to be accurate. On that basis, your next period would be expected to be 20th Dec, with ovulation having been 6th Dec. Implantation would then not yet have occurred. The negative test results indicate implantation has not taken place yet, or if it has, only very recently.

Hope this helps

thank u bt im still worried if implation havent happened well what are the signs that it has an also if i miss this next period what does that mean an how soon should i take another pregnancy test an also if implantion haven't happen then what goin on with me know why did i miss my period if implantion hasn't happen

Dear Pearl

Whoa. Stop worrying. That won't help! In fact it could make things worse. I hadn't realised until recently you were trying to get pregnant. Are you married? What does he think about it all?

Indication that implantation may have happened include:

1. Implantation cramps (light cramps inside the uterus)
  2. Implantation spotting or bleeding (a couple of drops of light or dark blood - short, brief spotting).
  3. A temperature dip at about 7-10 days after ovulation.

Most women have none of the symptoms that can not be precisely measured such as bleeding or cramps, at the time of implantation. However, some women report drops of blood and/or light cramping.

Note that these symptoms can happen with or without implantation, and frequently occur when they do not result in pregnancy.

1. Start charting your temperature along with period dates and noting any other bleeding/spotting in case pregnancy is not evident.
  2. Take a HPTest 2 days after the latest date for your period to arrive. If negative, you could try a blood test (hCG).
  3. Observe what is happening with your cycle

That will do as a start.

thanks i am more calm an i havent really been worried an no im nt married yet bt i have been with hm for awhile an hes really nt takin my miss period serious hes just waiting it out bt i havin cramping still n yesterday some liquid came an some light pink stuff bt ima just see what happens in two weeks an what temptures am i lookin for n how does that help me know anything with the pregnacy

What the temperature charting is likely to show is when you ovulate. Perhaps your Basal Body Temperature (temperature first thing before you get up) will fluctuate around (say) 36C, and then when you ovulate it might shoot up to (say) 37C. It might then tail off over the next week or so getting back down to your usual (say) 36C. That means you may be able to tell when you have ovulated. But it is getting to know your own body.

Some women then find that on implantation there is another temperature shift, but implantation symptoms vary widely and some do not get symptoms at all.

What it will tell you is how your body functions, you will have a good idea when you have ovulated, and have a better idea of the likelihood of pregnancy (according to when you had sex relative to ovulation). But it is important to always take your temperature first thing before rising.

It also means that if you see a doctor because you have trouble getting pregnant, the doctor has something to refer to of substance.

thanks for the advice im starting to really feel butterflys an when i put my hand on my belly i cn feel a heart beat an how many weeks cn you be to be able to feel the babe? my belly is also getting rounder n bigger n im still havin the same symptoms bt im mainly just waiting on my period so i cn knw for sure whats goin on bt i went to the doctor n they didnt take a blood test to see if i was pregnant THEY TOok a urine test an it was negative so im just gnna wait it OUt i guess bt wish me good luck that the baby is were it needs to be an im a soon to be mama

Daer Pearl

You would expect to feel the heartbeat from about 5 weeks.

I am a bit concerned that you might be pregnant, you're not married, and your boyfriend is not taking it seriously! A baby is a serious concern!

Please take care.

im worried help last night me an my partner had unprotected sex an he nutted in me after that i started feeling awful cramping headache back pain the next morning i was bleedin when i whiped it was light an then when i whiped again it was kinda red i am cramping a lil nw what does that mean is it a sign of miscarrige or what please help

Dear Pearl

That sex was unprotected so that he ejaculated in you should not cause a miscarriage, but the vigour of sex might in the light of previous miscarriages. So what happened? Was he thrusting deeply? Vigourously? Did you orgasm? What sort of orgasm was it? However it might be that your period is arriving. It would be worth seeing a health care professional and getting checked out.