Few days ago I was sitting in the restaurant with some friends. I was shocked how I was ignorant of the health condition of my close friend. We actually never talk about it, always about money, husbands…kids. The thing is that Maria said that she has congenital Mitral stenosis and that is why she never had kids. She said that her heart is not strong enough for that. Is that some kind heart disease? I am so worried about her now. What kind condition is Mitral stenosis?

Mitral stenosis is a narrowing or obstruction of the opening of the Mitral valve. Mitral valve separates the upper and lower chambers on the left side of the heart. This prevents adequate blood flow between the upper chamber and lower chamber. If it is congenital that it is probably part of a complex heart deformity. It is very hard to live with this. How it is possible that you didn’t know about this earlier? I know someone who developed Mitral stenosis in 37. I know that she often has breathing difficulties.

I have had this condition from the age of 10, I am now 48. I will be needing surgery to replace my mitral stenosis. I was fortunate to have a daughter (although it took eleven years), and to my Doctor's discontent, he insisted that I be followed more frequently. It was a high risk pregnancy, so in the end they preferred to give me a cesarian (not to exert my heart with the delivery). Throughout the whole pregnancy, I felt like a new person, yes I did have shortness of breath often, I listened to my body, and rested when I needed to. I also was working, and being very careful. Most of my friends only found out a while ago, about my condition, we are normal human beings, who are able to cover up our situation. I wish your friend well, and hope they can repair or replace her mitral stenosis valve, in order to have children.