Few days ago I have noticed something strange with my son. It looked like small, pearl-shaped spots which are pink in color. My friend who is doctor told me it may occur at any age but is typically found in children. She tried to calm me saying it is not a serious disease and usually clears up within a few months. Anyway, I want to know more about that condition, which she said is called molluscum.

Molluscum is an infection caused by a virus called poxvirus. The infection can result from direct contact, including sexual contact. Also he might be affected by indirect contact, such as sharing towels, or from swimming pools. The incubation period from the time of initial contact until the molluscum or spots appear is from two to eight weeks. Molluscum occurs as a pink, pearl-like spots on the face, arms and legs. Those spots can be 1 to 5mm in diameter. As your friend told you, be patient, the condition will pass. Wash your hands every time after touching the molluscum. Take care and help your son to avoid scratching the molluscum, as this may cause further infection. Usually no treatment is given, because the disease disappears by itself. Antiseptic applied to the affected areas is helpful only if local infection occurs. As your friend said, molluscum is a benign disease that spontaneously improves after a couple of months.