After my son visited our local swimming pool with his class, I have noticed something strange. I saw he has some pearl shaped spots all over his body. I was thinking he has some rash or something he catch on that swimming pool, so I took him to the doctor. He told me that is molluscum contagiosum, and nothing else. He did not recommended any medicine, just said it will pass, so I want to know more about it.

Molluscum contagiosum is viral infection caused by poxvirus. Usually person catch it by a direct contact, or sharing towels, and very popular, in swimming pools. This infection may occur at any age but I can say it is typically found in children. His doctor did nothing, because this is not a serious disease, and will clears up on its own. Interesting is that incubation period, which means time of initial contact to symptoms, is two to eight weeks. You have not specified when your son visited swimming pool, but I guess it was anything around this time. All I can do is the same that your doctor told him, be patient and wait. This condition will pass, but is important to wash your hands each time you touch molluscum. Help him to avoid scratching it, because that can cause further infection. Wait few months and it will pass, because, as I already said, this is benign condition, so there is no need to worry.