Few days ago, I have noticed something strange appeared on my daughter’s skin. This looks as small, pearl-shaped spots, which are pink in color. One friend of mine told me her son had the same, which lasts for six months already. She said his doctor did not give him any medicine for this. I found it strange so I would like to know if that could be molluscum contagiosum, as she told me.

Molluscum contagiosum is viral infection of skin, typically found in children, but also it may occur at any age. What your friend told you is true, since that is not a serious disease and will usually clear up within a few months. However, it can last for up to two years in some cases. It is an infection caused by a virus, which has been called poxvirus. The infection can result from direct contact, including sexual contact, or by indirect contact, such as sharing towels. Children usually get it from swimming pools. The incubation period from the time of initial contact until the molluscum or spots appear is few weeks. The only advice I could give you is to be patient because this condition will pass. Your daughter and you should take care about washing hands after touching molluscum. Help your daughter to avoid scratching the molluscum, because this may cause further infection. You could take her to the doctor so he should confirm diagnosis.