Hello everyone.

First, let me say that I don’t have this problems with my dogs. For now.

But, whenever I walk or going to shopping, I can hear some people talking about kidney stones in dogs. I was wondering, is this so common in dogs?

I really hope that this won’t happen to my dogs, because I think that treating can be really bad experience, for everyone :/ I don’t want to see my dog in pain.

So, I was wondering, can you tell me what is the most common causes of kidney stones in dogs and is there any way to prevent it, on time?Tnx in advance! 

Hello. It is nice that you want to know more about this health issue. First, you should know what the most common signs are... well, the most common sign of this is when you see a blood in your dog’s urine. That is the first symptom, that is an alarm and you should react. Second, the most common cause are several things contribute to the formation of urinary tract stones. Mineral salts are too high in the urine, and they precipitate out. This can happen in the kidneys or in the tract in the bladder. Most mineral salts are less soluble in alkaline urine and so any factors can make urine more basic to stone formulation. 

Hello everyone.

My dog, Danina, is struggling with kidney stones for two years now.
We have tried everything and anything, but nothing. I have notice some symptoms, such as abdominal discomfort, and you might see the blood in your dog’s urine. The most common causes that can help develop stone is really simple.

Factors that influence to the development of stones include
Genetic predisposition,
The concentration of the stones in the urine,
Urine pH
And presence of some bacterial infection.

In my case, kidney stones in my little Danina cause those bacterial infections.
We are still struggling against them.

Good luck!

Millie, the disease is not so common, I mean, it happens, but not so often. It’s usually not so dangerous because the stones dissolve themselves while your dog is urinating, or they don’t, they get stuck and then they cause a lot of pain to your dog. You can’t do much to prevent it, because there isn’t really a cause which you can describe. A lot of things can help create stones in your dog’s urine, and you can’t really evade them all. If he happens to have too many mineral salts in his urine, they can combine to make a stone, which can end in the kidney eventually.

Hello everyone.

I also have to agree that this disease is not that common in dogs, but it can happen, maybe more often than you think.

If your dog has a lot of mineral salt in the urine, that is the most common cause that can help your dog to create kidney stone. And, this process is really painful in your dog, while he urinates, sometimes while he is sleeping.. It depends.

I suggest you to observe your dog’s behavior and consult your vet how to treat your dog right.

Usually, there are more than one stone. And, it is ugly feeling.

Hello. Let me join this discussion again. It can be really hard to determine what the main causes of kidney stones in dogs are. We all do know how this disease can manifest in dog, how your dog can get this disease. Like others told you, minerals in urine are the most common cause, but I believe that there are a lot of different, that we can’t even know. Sometimes, it seems really hard to treat it, but in this case, therapy is something that you need to try. Especially because, like we already know, there is not just one stone, in most of cases, there are more than one stones.

Hey everyone,

Looks like nobody knows exactly what are the causes of kidney stones. I mean, everybody knows it has something to do with the minerals in urine which form the stones, but nobody really knows how they get there.

Dogs with some genetic predispositions are more likely to have kidney stones than dogs without those, but again, nobody really knows. I like what Dog whisperer said above, there are probably more things that cause kidney stones which we know nothing about. Anyway, at least we know how to treat them. I’ve never had problems with kidney stones, but I heard they can be nasty.

I have never owned a dog that had problems with kidney stones either. And I hope that I won’t, I heard from some friends that it’s not naïve at all.

I searched around about it because of my friends’ dogs and this is what I found out about the causes, although I’m pretty sure it’s all already mentioned somewhere above.

The minerals in the urine are the most common cause, because they are the material from which the stones are formed of.
There are some genetic predispositions that show that your dog is probably going to have stones.
And it can also be due to some bacterial infection.

Hello there.
I have this problem as well, and I found out that my dog has kidney stones, a several of them, and I was researching a little bit about this.
I found this forum, and I saw that there are so many topics as well.
I don’t know how to deal with this, to be honest with you, especially when I can see that my dog is in pain while he urinates.
I now do know what is the most common cause, but I don’t know how to treat it.
I will talk with my vet, of course.
I will try to find as much as I can about it.
Anyway, thank you a lot!