Hello everyone. I am very upset because of my cat. She has a skin rash all over her back. Yes, she’s always had extremely sensitive skin ever since she was a kitten but this is the first time that she has a rash. I don’t know what to do. I think this rash is very painful because she seems very sad and nervous. It breaks my heart just to look at her. I don’t have any experience with cat rashes so I don’t have any idea what could’ve caused it. Is there anyone who can help me with this? What are the most common causes of this skin problem?

Hello there. I am sorry about your cat. This happened to my cat too (3 years ago). I know how you feel. It’s very hard to watch your cat while she is in pain.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you what caused the rash because there are so many possible causes. The most common cause is parasites and that was the case with my cat. The vet gave us some medications and she felt better in a week or two.

However, there are many possible causes of a rash such as flea infestations and allergy to flea bites, allergy to some food she ate, some environmental irritants and so on…

Hello, rubylock.

Like Mima said, causes of cat’s skin rash are numerous. If your cat is mostly in your house or apartment, the parasites are unlikely cause, but then you must take allergies in consideration. To be 100% sure, you will need to take her to the vet. He or she can also diagnose some other causes such as stress (which can be treated with anti-anxiety meds) or sunburns (if your cat is light-colored fur breed).

Whatever is the case, the treatments nowadays are very painless so your cat won’t suffer much. Start the treatments as soon as your vet gives diagnose and told you what options you have.

Best of luck!

Poor little thing, I am really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I can’t help you because there are so many things that can cause rash on your cat’s skin. It is hard to say this way, so take your cat to the vet. It can be flea allergy dermatitis, because this is the most common skin allergy in cats. It manifests especially on the cat's back, sometimes on tail. According to your story, that is it, but you can never be sure. You can try a lot of different cures, and some of them won’t help you at all. There are so many causes. 

Thank you all so much. I took her to the vet this morning. She was more nervous than ever, and when we came in she panicked so much that he had to give some kind of injection to calm her down. Then she started examining her skin and he told me that I should try changing her food. He suspects that she might be allergic to the food I am giving her. If not the food, then it’s something else, but it definitely is an allergy according to him.I don’t think so. I still think there is something else. She has been eating the same food for years and she’s never been allergic to it.

Hey there, Rubylock, I have to say that food is more likely the cause of your princess’s rush, especially if the vet approved that.  It isn’t important that she has been eating that food before and just now it appeared, it happens often. Simply, after some time their body and body system, tolerance on certain food, or some other cause can affect it. What you can do for now is to change her diet for a few days, and see how she will react, you don’t have anything to lose. But I think it’s definitely it, anyway, I send positive thoughts to her. 

My ex girlfriend had this problem with her cat as well. She wanted to try everything to help her cat, but she didn’t have a idea that her cat had a ectoparasites. This happens when cat starts to lose her weight sudden, and it can be really upset. I just can’t remember how she didn’t notice this. Well, cat hair los can be caused by some infections, I am not sure which one, but it can and of course, sudden hair loss can be associated with a lot of diseases. Now, I really don’t want to scare you, but you need to control this. I think that you would be able to see if your cat is losing her hair, right? 

Hello. Unfortunately, I had the similar problem with my first cat, and that was fourteen years ago. My cat was overweight and sometimes she was developing a patch of dull coat along their back, because she was not able to reach it to groom. So, she was starching herself all the time and I was really scared. The second thing that happened for me with a same cat was a diet program, because omega 3 fatty acids play a key role in inflammation. It was a night mare for me, because her problems were never ending. So diets or certain foods also can cause cat skin rash.