My 9yo son whenever he can goes without clothes in the house and his room and when he sleeps.  In the warmer weather he only wears shorts rarely a shirt of socks or shoes and hates underwear.  He would go without all the time if he was allowed.  Been like this his entire life.  Is this an emotional issue?  

I don't think your son has any emotional issue/s that are the cause of him wanting to be naked around the house and when he sleeps. I have been the same since I was 12, am now 46, happily married and still prefer to get naked at home. In fact as long as he only does so in an appropriate and supportive environment, then it should be reassuring to know that he comfortable with his own body.
There is no saying if he may not change when he reaches puberty and may become self-conscious with the changes in his appearance.

Thank you, he is small for his age and I took the stance that if it helps him not be self conscious that I would allow it.

Let him be nude in the house or backyard nothing wrong with that.He is letting his skin breathe and that is all good.You may want to experience the freedom also so give it a try.

Ok I will. If he could he would never wear clothes. Sometimes when we walk in the woods I let him go nude. Was told by a friend that it was ok being nude in front of him, it’s so different than how I was raised. Trying to be open minded. Have told his friends mothers that at the house he might be nude and they didn’t seem to care (of course they all have sons too).

You're a great Mom!!! Continue being open-minded!!