1. Is it wise to have 18 teeth removed simultaneously while in a dentist's chair, or, is it more appropriate to use an oral surgeon under anesthesia?

2. Will the dentist give me my gold crowns once they're extracted?

What a coincidence. I have the same issue, so I was asking my doctor exactly the same thing. I have to be honest, I really hate visiting the dentist because I am really scared. So, when he told me that I am about to have a permanent tooth replacement I was about to faint. He told me that this is nothing serious and that he will do the job like it supposed to be. So, I did it. Nothing. No pain, no problems. And of course, I had this one gold crown and I asked him to give it to me, so he did. 

When I had mine out 50 years ago, they took out 5 on top and 5 on the bottom on one side. A couple weeks later they did the same on the other side. A couple more weeks and they took out the remaining top teeth and another couple weeks they took out the remaining bottom ones.

About the same time, my sister went to the hospital and had all hers out at once.

Neither of us had any problems.

If you want the gold crowns back you just have to tell the dentist. They are yours.

Thank you for the advice on the crowns. How about the 18 extractions at the same time: local numbing by needle or oral surgery anesthesia?

I can't decide that for you. If your dentist is willing to do it with local I'm sure it will be much less expensive. That's the way it would have normally been done when I had mine out but since then they have figured out ways to specialize and now it's nearly impossible to find a dentist around here who will even pull a single tooth. They all want to send you to an oral surgeon.