Please tell me what is the role of parotis gland in human body? Is it always safe to remove it surgically in children with chronic parotitis? I had surgical removal of parotis glands when was 12. I have a daughter that has parotitis manifestations very often, but physician has never suggested the operation. What problems may it cause?

Parotid glands are the largest salivary glands. Surgical removal is very often required in children. It may be done with local or general anaesthesia. Sometimes general anaesthesia should be avoided. Lots of tests are needed to be done before physician can allow a person to be given general anaesthesia.

Hello there,

First of all parotid gland is the largest gland in our organism and it is responsible for making saliva and saliva prime function is to moist food and help us to chew it and swallow easier.  If your daughter has chronic swelling of the parotid gland than it is most likely that your doctor is going to suggest removal of the part or whole gland in near future.

During the procedure your daughter will have a general anesthetic and she will be asleep and she will not feel any pain for the whole operation.

If you decide that she doesn’t need this procedure than her problem is going to get worse and the bigger the swelling the bigger is pain going to become.