Last night I had some pain on the right side of my face at the jawline when I was eating. I have some metal hardware in my jaw from a car accident 20 years ago. I thought this might be the reason for the pain, however, I just noticed that my face/neck area is swollen right below the jaw line near my ear on the right side. I have been having a lost of post nasal dripping in the last few weeks from allergies. Could this be causing this, or perhaps the hardware in my jaw? Unfortunately my doctor is on vacation for the next week, so I'm not sure this is something serious that I should be going to the hospital, or can I wait.

Hi. Im not an expert just a normal guy but i have had that same exact swollen gland right under my ear alongside my jaw and ive had all the same symptoms. I never even saw my doctor It just went away a few days later. I would say you can relax and see the Doc when hes In.

I have had this happen several times.  Eventually, when I tried to eat, ( which I have been told is usually when this happens, right before you start to eat or while eating ) the swelling got really large and I could barely open my mouth & was extremely painful. I was diagnosed "both" times with a "blocked" salivary duct gland.  They usually tell me to eat something sour like lemon drops and that will usually relieve the blockage and allow the salivary gland to drain.  I am no doctor and am by no means saying that this is your problem, but it sure sounds like it to me.   It is very "painful" when it happens and I thought I was possibly getting an ear infection, since my jaw and ear both were effected.  I had never heard of this before until I experienced it. The first time I went to the emergency room. They had told me that IF it had not drained on it's own, they would have to "unblock" it for me. The first time it drained while I was in the emergency room after getting all kinds of tests. The second time it drained on its own over night while I slept. However IF it does not drain on its own, seek medical attention.

Hi i have the same symptoms its only painful when i try to eat and it only started this morning, i hope it goes away if not i have to see a doctor.

sounds like an infected parotid gland.

I have this very same thing and it comes and goes, every few months, and last for several days. When it happens it's tender and gets fairly large, like a small plum. Thought of going to my doctor but it goes away, its still tender after the swelling goes down.