Hi, guys. My close friend got some burns since she was ironing something. I think it isn’t too much serious, but she went to the doctor’s. I would like to know what the first thing to do with second degree burns is. I will appreciate if anyone can reply to my post. Thanks.

Hi to you too. The first thing to do is to stop the exposure. If the burn is made by powder, this powder should be brushed off. In other cases, the affected area should be rinsed with clean water. This water shouldn’t be cold if the burns are extensive since it can compromise the body’s temperature status. This helps with removing the foreign bodies. Airway should also be assessed. The patient could inhale smoke. His electrolyte and fluid status should also be monitored and these patients are usually administrated with Lactated Ringer’s Solution. Antibiotics are also given to stop the infection. I hope this helps.