My son has been burnt in a school laboratory today. He came back home with his hand skin red and swollen and with a high temperature. He said that he put his hand under the cool water and a gauze was found to wrap it well, but I wonder how to treat minor third degree burns?

Determine the degree of the burn. First-degree burns affect only the epidermis, or the outer layer of skin, and appear red and swollen, with no broken or bubbling skin. A second-degree burn affects the dermis, or the second layer of skin, and has intensely red blisters. Run cool water over the burned area but don't put ice on the burn. Wrap the burned area with a dry, sterile cloth. Take an over-the-counter pain medication to treat minor discomfort.

Hi there,
Third degree burns might get very serious. How big is his burn and how did he get this burn? You have to know that third degree burns cause much damage, where your fat, muscles and even bone might be affected so no matter how small is this burn it is very serious. You need to take him to the hospital to get appropriate treatment. Does he have any problems with blood circulations? It is important not to put much water on the burn because this can cause problems with blood circulations and deteriorations of blood pressure. I hope that this was helpful in any way.

All the best
Danella