my father was recently diagnosed with four "spots" on his lungs. he was told these were calcium deposits. one is the size of a thumb nail. what are these calcium deposits? what has caused them? what are the potential health risks? and can this condition be treated? i would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. thankyou

he should get tested for sarcoidosis or an overactive parathyroid gland both cause an abnormal level of calcium in the blood and urine. I myself get kidney stones almost every year at the same time (my birthday) one hell of a present! What made him go to the doctor? Did he ever hear popping noises in his lungs when he took deep breaths? I do all the time. Wondering if I have calcium deposits on my lungs too. Check out this website. nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/sarc/sar_causes.html