I just adore steel cut oats. I think I could eat it day and night. It reminds me on my hometown back in Scotland and my grandma which used to make it.

But, recently, I was diagnosed with calcium kidney stones. Doc said it's the most common type of kidney stone. He recommended strict dietary changes for me.

Now, my question is must I cut out my favorite meal? I was so confused in doctor's office and forgot to ask him about steel cut oats.

Also, what tips can you give me about preventing kidney stones in future?

Hi Olga,

There is SOME calcium in steel cut oats but not a lot, about 20mg in 1/4 cup uncooked. 

A large egg has about 43mg.

You do need calcium for your bones and teeth.  Ask your doctor what he suggests. 

Health Advisor

Hello, Olga.

Medic-dan is completely right. Steel cut oats contains a small amount of calcium, and it seems harmless in your case. 

But, just to be sure, consult your doctor and/or nutritionist. 

As for preventing kidney stones, increase your water intake, reduce sodium intake, cut out stone-forming food (nuts and chocolate, for an example) and limit your intake of animal protein. As you can see, proper diet is essential. 

Cheers!