Been stalking here a while reading lots of useful info on quitting smoking. I am now in week 7-8 of quitting with the aid of nicotine gum.

________________________________________

Week 1 - Strangely was not as bad as I had imagined, was recovering from gastric/heartburn, so decided to quit at the same time. Cravings were manageable with the gum. Had some moments of light headedness but its gone by week 2-3. Started walking a mile after dinner, helps with the gas and indigestion! (highly recommended)

Symptoms - Anxiety, Cravings, Light Headed, Strong Heartbeat, Indigestion, Poor appetite, hard to concentrate on work.

Week 2 - Digestive issues started to begin, along with anxiety and depression. Bowel movements are weird, from super soft stool to constipation. Adjusted my eating habits by eating lesser, drinking more juices, cutting back on caffeine. Find myself unable to sit still for long, so went out and bought an exercise bike haha. Still doing my daily after dinner walks, something I really enjoy and it helps tons.

Symptoms - Anxiety, Strong Heartbeat, Indigestion, hard to concentrate on work.

Week 3 - Was in Bali enjoying a week long vacation, had a strange overnight bout of motion sickness/fever after a long drive, but it went away as fast as it came.

Week 4-7 -Withdrawals kicking in strong now, using the exercise bike 30 mins a day on a leisurely pace, started cycling again as well. Symptoms now include

Anxiety - High, causing sleepless nights, weird thoughts on death and stuff like that. Contemplating going to the doc to get some xanax =) Feeling comes and goes. Strangely it comes together with the next symptom.

Strong heartbeat - This one is odd, heart is beating at a regular beat, between 70-90, but the beat is so strong that I can feel it in my chest, gets more noticeable before sleeping at night. Gone with a quick burp.

Digestive issues - Lots of gas, which cause the strong heartbeat above, have to watch what I am eating as well, now I have lighter meals, which for some reason makes me feel better, less oily stuff, more juices.

Phlegm - Noticing more phlegm now, i just swallow whatever it is and forget about it.

Twitching in chest - Felt some light twitches in the chest, but a quick finger on the pulse shows the heart beats are normal

Concentration - When I am not super busy, my mind starts to wander and I find it tough to concentrate on anything, but once I get down to it, the "cloudy haze" goes away for a while

At this point i would say the worst of it has to do with the anxiety and the strong heartbeat, which I think are related.  Another thing I noticed which I think a lot of ex-smokers also notice, we sure can't eat like we use to. Have to watch the diet a bit, else the indigestion monster comes showing itself again haha.

Here are the things that have helped me so far.

Nicotine Gum for the cravings (I also grab one when the symptoms above get too much)

Ginger tea for the gas/indigestion

Lavender aromatherapy/ Camomile tea for the anxiety (trying to avoid more drugs unless i have to)

My leisurely evening 1 mile walks.. i can't stress how much that helped me.

Thats all for now! =)

Keep it up all!

Exactly the same symptoms I have. Now in week 5, it´s not been easy at all. Been feeling better the last couple of days. so how are you now? Can we expect better days ahead? :)

Hi Vascs79, yes it will get better.. sloooowly but surely.

I just want to know how you are feeling now

OMG same as mine, Heartburn and Chest Painis the most annoying symptoms for me