I've been an everyday 4-5 times a day smoker for the past year and a half.

I quit weed 16 days ago. (A tuesday)

Friday I started getting a sore throat. Monday I began coughing up all sorts of phlegm containing bits of black and lost my voice for the first time in my life.

Here I am on day 16, still coughing up phlegm. Not as much as before and no black but still fairly frequent. I still feel like more wants to come out every time I inhale.

I figure it's my body trying to repair itself but how long does it take? I'm getting impatient!!

Has anyone else experienced this?!?!?!?! / gotten through it?!?!?!

I'm also feeling less motivation and I become irritated much easier.

I had been smoking weed for a little over a year, everyday, maybe 6-7 blunts a day. It will be 3 weeks on Sunday since my last blunt.

I wanna say, maybe the 3rd or 4th day after quitting... I got a sore throat, began coughing up phlegm with pinkish stuff in it, but that only happened once. Then i lost my voice, and i have never lost my voice in my life!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought maybe I was coming down with a cold. Things seem to be subsiding, but I still have the phlegm and my voice is still not normal.

Since I quit, I have been doing lots of research and basically I think our lungs are just ridding all the sh*t we were putting in there.... Stick with it though, you are not alone... I will!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that it was this serious....

What about nausea and/or headaches? Did you have those? Do you seem to dream a lot more?

Happy quitting.... :-D

Hey :-)

I've been an everyday smoker for the past year.

So I totally know what yu mean !! I quit a week ago today (last saturday) and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold since I got a sore throat, coughing all the time and I lost my voice. I never knew that quitting weed would do that to you ! Yea I do have a headache sometimes and not so much the nausea. Any advice you could give me to help the symptoms ?

Congrats on quitting :-D

I was smoking weed every day for almost 6 months straight. I recently stopped around 12 days ago, and was feeling great up a couple days ago. Now I have really bad shortness of breath, i'm sure it's just my body getting rid of the 6 months of c**p. I have no real urge to smoke weed anymore, it's just the chest tightness and shortness of breath that is really bugging me.

Same here, feels like I have a cold. If anybody else has this happen to them your not the only one! 

Go to the doctors and get them to prescribe you a mild antibiotic steroid spray which you spray on the back of your throat. also gargle honey and salt water (sererately)!

I've been going through the same thing like my nose gets congested and throat feels dry and itchy spit some phlegm outwith little specs off what look like resin. also quite 18 days ago. first week i was fine the out of no where I feel like I have allergies.

I smoked weed for 8 months including poppers. I quit. So just imagine what i had to go through to be able to get healthier lungs. If you are willing to make a change for yourself, the best advice that i can give you is exercise and stay patient. Evreything comes with time.

So glad I found this discussion!
Although I started to feel sick after about 35 days of quitting smoking weed. It's the longest time ever.
I really don't know if it's cold or detox/withdrawal. But it feels somehow unusual. Sneezing, Coughing out phlegm , lost my voice , dry throat ,etc
etc...
Starting to get used to not smoking it, thinking more clearly, definitely have vivid dreams every night, so I'm on the path to recovery
But this coughing out is so strange tho.

Same here! It's been about 35 days for me as well and I have this constant cough that I'm trying to get rid of. I just made a tea with lemon, garlic, ginger, honey, ACV so hopefully this goes away!

I was a 3-4 time a day smoker for the past 10 years or so. I've got a nine year old son and the worlds most incredible fiancé that I felt Deserved more out of me than what my stoned mind was offering, so I decided it was time. I quit about 5 weeks ago and im going through some of the same things you described. Losing my voice off and on, coughing up phlegm, dry scratchy throat and generally just feel kind of crappy. I've read a lot of the different posts in several different forums and it seems to be quite common. Puts my anxiety at ease a little knowing something out of the ordinary isn't going on with my body. I feel like it's never going to get better but reading your post helps me to see my timeframe isn't too abnormal. Detox is a real b***h. Hope all is going well for you.

Hey thanks so much for the post. I am on like day 32 and have a weird sensation in my throat that I have had for the past couple weeks or so. Basically it feels dry and scratchy. Then when I get paranoid about it it gets worse lol. I smoked weed for like 8 years daily. Stay strong bro.

I was a daily user of weed for over 15 years and quit 35 days ago. I got really achy and sick (white sacks on my tonsils, ear aches, head & body aches) within 3 days. I took amoxicillin (antibiotic) for 8 days and was good for about 2 days after that then it came back. I was put on a much strong antibiotic to take 3x daily for 10 days; was golden 6 days into the meds but then after day 12 I got sick again w/the aches and white sacks on my throat again. I tested negative for strep and mono. I hope it's just the detox and I will get better soon. I've been gargling with lemon, melaluca and clove essential oils w/warm water for 3 weeks now 2x daily plus drinking green tea. damn maybe my body NEEDS the weed.

I have the same thing, it's been 2 weeks and I'm still hawking up a lung trying to get the sh*t out, I tried eating though and had a small piece of food stick to my mucus in my throat and all I could really do was try to cough it out. I sure do hope that the phlegm subsides. Imyself have been remembering more dreams though from quitting weed, I thinknow it is due to the fact that smoking brings memory loss, that's why people do worse in school but from quitting I can now dream, in which I haven't dreamed in years due to smoking.

Same here...6 weeks no smoking after being a daily smoker (4-5 times a day, mostly out of glass, for around 10 years) and I'm still coughing up--yellow in the morning, clear throughout the day, and on occasion still speckled, resiny phlegm. Gross.

It's scary and I continue doing research on what's going on. If you guys look up "quitter's flu" for people who quit cigs, it seems that quitting pot results in the same symptoms. I also got terrible acne afterwards as my body adjusts to having normal hormones and not hormones being messed with from marijuana.

The constant phlegm is because of irritated lungs and passages. Until they heal, it will continue. And until the tar/resin gets loosened up and coughed out, we'll keep getting the speckled phlegm.

So looking forward to finally healing and to living a clean, clear-headed life. Everyone, keep us posted here. I'm curious how long this takes. I'm hoping I'll be done with this soon.